Why Are People Squeamish?

Why Are People Squeamish?

What causes squeamishness?

5260
Why Are People Squeamish?
Check Up Newsroom

Nothing offsets the stomach quite like the thought of blood and dissections. Plenty of people are squeamish. But why do these “gross” concepts easily ruin one’s appetite? Squeamishness is defined as feeling disgusted or physically ill due to an external stimulus. That stimulus can vary from person to person. Some are nauseated by blood. Some can’t stand the texture of fish. Being squeamish can also be caused by a traumatic experience of some sort. It is typical for animals to be shocked at the sight of wounds and abnormalities. So that’s a rundown on what squeamishness is, but how do these stimuli affect us? What are some common causes?

Feeling squeamish can be brought on through varying responses. A disgust response and a vagal response are two common responses that cause this squeamish feeling. Disgust is one of the six primary emotions that are related to a specific neural structure. The anterior portion of the brain has been shown to be highly active in an MRI scan while the subject was experiencing disgust. Feeling disgusted by something is often a product of some past trauma; having an uncomfortable encounter with blood – perhaps a cut or an injury – could cause someone to dislike the sight or even the thought of blood. The disgust response is more of a psychological response, whereas the vagal response is a bodily nerve response. There are a pair of nerves that run from the brain down to the abdomen singularly called the vagus nerve. It connects with the carotid artery in the neck. The vagus nerve controls a few skeletal muscles and also provides most organs with parasympathetic fibers. The vagus nerve is responsible for heart rate, parts of the digestive tract, sweating, and larynx muscles which allow speech and a gag reflex. The vagus nerve can be affected by blood pressure. When blood pressure fluctuates, the body goes into “shock"; shock can be caused by an imbalance in the body. The vagus nerve receives these signals through the carotid artery and can cause the body to gag, send blood to important organs, and even make the victim faint. These bodily imbalances can be caused by blood loss, injections, neural responses, and more. A weak vagal nerve is much more susceptible to these reactions.

Almost anything can cause someone to be squeamish. The causes can vary from patient to patient. Causes can range from blood to insects to war or even to hospitals. Causes can also include traumatic experiences. Typical symptoms are lightheadedness, nausea, dizziness, shaking, vomiting, and fainting. The causes trigger the “fight or flight” response. But it is possible to condition yourself so you are no longer affected; this is often practiced by medical students. Being in a situation where you have to face whatever causes your squeamishness often enough will help your body get used to the cause. It’s the same method that is used to conquer fears.

It is important to understand what your body is telling you. These responses were designed to alert you to danger. It’s common for people to have something that makes them squeamish; but, just like fears, it is possible to overcome these causes. They are simply responses. They aren’t a hindrance.