Whoever Said Broke College Kids Can't Travel The World Is WRONG

A few tips on how you can achieve an international study break.

41
Chris Lawton

If you’re a college student, such as myself, then essentially, you’re broke as hell. The only thing your money can truly afford is a twelve pack of ramen and maybe some plastic silverware, but even then you still have to improvise!

Regardless, you don’t really have money for extra expenditures and delicacies such as eating out, going to concerts, and actually having coins to pay for the washer to wash your clothes.

But seriously, being a college student brings a lot of stress to our lives with the midterms, several assignments due at 11:59pm, and group projects that suddenly give everybody social anxiety. Sometimes, we just want to neglect our responsibilities and actually enjoy life outside of piles of work.

Partying seems the way to go because what better way to really let loose than by losing count of the shots you take? But some of us want a real escape, out of the city -- hell, maybe even out of the country, but traveling expenditures can really run your pockets depending on where you’re going.

However, as impossible as it sounds, I have discovered a few ways on how you can travel in college for the low.

Buy your tickets in advance.

Most airfare can run you hundreds of dollars if you buy tickets around the holidays or summer because everyone is looking to travel at this time. But, if you buy your tickets months in advance, you can also save those dollars. Websites such as Fly4free.com and Rome2rio.com can help you find cheap flights domestically and internationally, and they also sometimes include travel packages that include tickets for planes, trains and other modes of transportation.

Be a traveler, not a tourist.

So the most distinguished difference between the traveler and the tourist is the money. As a tourist, you will go on tours of the destination you’re in, you can expect to go to museums, visit historic landmarks, and buy cheesy postcards and gifts for friends and family.

Try to avoid these tourist traps, and look for free walking tours and free museum visits, and also try to avoid buying too many souvenirs because these vendors will look to overcharge you for an item simply because you’re an English speaker.

Don’t eat out.

You’re in a foreign place and of course you want to eat at their restauraunts to gain a taste of their culture (literally), but fine dining every night during your travel can rack up the receipts faster than you think it can. Don’t be afraid to buy food at markets or grocery stores and cook for yourself!

Stay at hostels.

Ideal room and board out of country is to stay in a hotel because you are guaranteed (most of the time) a cleanly, accommodated room that promises great services. But hotels are insanely expensive, some that run at most $300 a night.

Try staying at a hostel. It seems sketchy at first, but you could stay in one of these for a month for the same price it costs to stay in a hotel for a night. Some of them also offer free tours or outgoings with young adventurers such as yourself!

Bring a buddy.

Not only can you guys split the cost of everything that your trip entails, such as food and living accommodations, but you can definitely make cherished memories you guys can reflect on years from now.

The thought of traveling whilst in college seems absurd at first, but if you gather an itinerary and do some cheap research, you will discover that a trip is certainly affordable.