What Makes A Millennial

What Makes A Millennial

You're bound to hear a person of an older generation say that Millennials will contribute to the downfall of the U.S. However, there have been negative stigmas with every generation.
1021

Recently, I have heard many of my friends ask me what Millennials are. Well, it's people who are roughly between the ages of 18 and 36. So if you're in college, you're a Millennial that is part of Generation Y. The Generation Ys and Millennials are the same. Most of our parents are most likely Baby Boomers or Generation Xs. I understand that there are many people out there that do not care to have a generational identity. We are what we are. However, there are characteristics that get tied to each generation because typically they're true. Let's look at a few.

Technologically and social media savvy. I don't believe that you'll find a human being that denies this idea. The Millennials drown themselves in social media and whatever new device is created. People are achieving success through Internet channels days after they may have bought their first razor. Jason Robbins founded DraftKings (online sports fantasy and gambling site) in his late twenties. Mark Zuckerberg launched Facebook out of his college dorm at Harvard. Sean Parker launched Napster when he was only 18 years old. Eventually, he was sued for copyright issues, but he's a multi-billionaire now, so I think he's doing just fine. Keep watching the news, I wouldn't be surprised to see a pre-adolescent launch a massive Internet-based company.

Socially Liberal. This may be up to dispute, but at times it can be hard to disagree with this characteristic. If you were to look at what has happened over the last five years, this claim will be hard prove wrong. In 2015, the Supreme Court nationally legalized gay marriage. The commercial use of weed in Colorado was legalized in 2014. You're also seeing a lack of religion nationwide. Millennials have been deemed the least religious generation to date by many scholars. Truth Dig reports that 95 percent of Americans have premarital sex.

High Expectations. Some experts believe that Millennials have unrealistic expectations. This can either be positive or negative. Unfortunately, these expectations may have led to a level of entitlement among Millennials. Sometimes all of us get caught up in what we think we deserve compared to what we're capable of reaching, or just not being content on what we have.

These are only a few characteristics that get tied to Millennials. The characteristics that describe this new generation can be negative or positive. You're bound to hear a person of an older generation go on to say that the Millennials will contribute to the downfall of the U.S. However, there has always been a negative stigma with every generation. Till the end of time, we'll be hearing about how the newest generation has some problem that will lead to ultimate disaster. But, I believe there will always be something positive to get out of each new and unique generation. I think the millennials will be just fine.