Turn Your Whining Into Praise And Your Complaints Into Thanks

Don't turn your blessings into something negative

257
unsplash

I admit I am so guilty of complaining throughout my days. Maybe not aloud, but always in my head. No matter how hard I try to rebut it with prayer, it’s a constant back and forth battle. We’ve all been guilty of getting frustrated with coworkers who aren’t doing their job correctly, or the friend who doesn’t seem to put in the effort.

We all whine and complain about how much our classes suck, or how much we can’t stand our teachers. We complain about the amount of work we have to do, for something we choose to do and put on our own plate.

We get annoyed with our significant other’s when we feel neglected. And the biggie, we get mad at God when He doesn’t give us exactly what we want right when we want it.

It’s okay to get frustrated and stressed and hurt. You’re allowed to feel what you are feeling, and you shouldn’t let anyone take that from you. But when you think about the real reasoning behind why you’re feeling that way, is it because of your own selfish reasons? Maybe you’re frustrated at your coworker because they aren’t helping make your job easier.

You’re upset with your friend or your significant other because they aren’t loving you the way you expected. You’re mad at your teachers for not giving you every single answer. You’re frustrated at your extracurricular activities because they’re just taking up so dang much of your time. You’re mad at God because it’s about what you want, not what He wants. I know I'm guilty of all of these and it was time to face a hard reality.

News flash: It’s not about us.

God put us here for a reason, and that reason is not to live for ourselves. He didn’t put us here to live selfishly and worry only about our own problems and how everyone can make our lives easier. God put us here so that we may know Him, and share His love and grace with those who don’t know Him. He put us here to serve and to make other people’s lives easier. He put us here to show grace to those who feel unworthy, to love the unlovable, to praise Him even when nothing is going right.

So instead of being frustrated with your job, give thanks that you even have a job. Because at one point you searched and prayed for God to give you a job. Serve your coworkers, and try to make their lives easier even if you feel worn down. When you want to complain about how hard your classes are, give thanks that God gave you the opportunity to attend school.

Thank your teachers for dedicating their lives to give you an education. When you complain about how busy you are, remember how excited you were to have received that leadership opportunity or position in a club.

When you’re hurt by your friend, be a better friend to them than they are to you because God wants you to show them grace and unconditional love. When you’re feeling neglected by your significant other, love them harder and do something for them instead of expecting them to do something for you. And when God isn't giving you what you want, thank Him. Because His timing is best, and your blessing will come at just the right time.

Never forget that the things we complain about are blessings. They are all gifts God has given us, and things that should make us fall on our knees in thanks. So next time you catch yourself complaining, look at it from a different perspective. Show thanks and gratitude, and always love more.