Where We Go After The Women's March On Washington

A Reflection on my participation and the best way to proceed.

7
Voice of America

I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to see democracy at work last Saturday in D.C. at the Women's March on Washington. Additionally, I was able to participate alongside my roommate and six buses full of people from my college and our surrounding town. We excitedly boarded our vehicles at midnight and tried our best to sleep away the adrenaline.

We arrived about a dozen metro stations outside of our intended destination. Yet, at every station the train stopped at there was always a handful of sign-wielding, Pussyhat-wearing protestors joining our bunch. Each station got busier and busier, and our train began to fill to its maximum capacity.

When we finally arrived at Union Station, we were filled to the brim with protesters. My group of four girls linked arms and headed into the mess, dragging each other to the escalator. Someone started cheering, and then others caught on and joined in. Excitement was building again, and the mood was light and bouncy. Suddenly we were all in this together.

We walked from the station towards the stage (where the speeches would be given) and hit a roadblock of people. Luckily, one girl in our group was a D.C. native and helped pull us through the crowd without getting completely lost. Eventually we reached a point where we could see the projection screen. By that time, there was no way we could go in any further. We were stuck in that spot for about three hours.

Imagine being in the world's largest mosh pit. There's so little space left to wiggle around in that you can't lift your arms from your sides without awkwardly running them past at least five of the women (and occasionally men) neighboring you. Not that any of that awkwardness matters by now, since you've probably been brushing up to them for the past couple of hours anyways. Between the chanting and passionate speeches being given on the stage, it's nearly impossible to make any kind of conversation except the occasional political small talk. You wait, you listen to what you can, you cheer, and then you chant.

Finally, there's a general consensus that it's time to march. The masses start to turn and head in the direction of the Washington Monument. We have no choice but to follow. Once again my group grabbed hold of one another and headed out. Chants began again, and everyone was involved. Signs were flying proudly in the air. Matching t-shirts were being purchased and worn. A sense of positive togetherness was abound. We marched for about an hour, not making it very far due to the pace of the march, before we had to catch a train to make it back to our bus on time.

Peaceful protest can be an effective method of voicing fears, beliefs and desires in a way that forces people to pay attention. It is estimated that more than 500,000 people showed up to participate in the Women's March and rally. Yet, not a single person was arrested. We came with signs, opinions and issues held close to our hearts but nobody got violent or out of control. I am proud of everyone for showing up with such a collected mindset.

It's imperative that movements like this keep their momentum going. There is so much more we can do going forward, here's a list of just a couple tips:

1. Keep up with current events and news.

Take in as many articles and news reports as possible in one day and try to make them diverse. Don't limit yourself by only understanding one particular side of the issue. If I learned anything in 12th grade English class, it's that your argument becomes much stronger when you also know how to counter your opponent's beliefs. Additionally, use your social media to keep up with constantly breaking stories or to see what people are talking about. It will go a long way.

2. Be active in future protests and demonstrations.

While the Women's March on Washington was an incredible demonstration with remarkable turnout, it doesn't mean the fight is over. Marching and peaceful protest are lawful and protected actions, and you should use your rights to fight for what you believe in.

3. Be in contact with your representatives.

It's their job to be a voice for you. When legislation is brought up that goes against your wishes you can contact them either via mail, email or phone. Here is where you find your congressperson and here is where you find your senators. This goes for all issues, not just ones pertaining to women's issues.

4. Vote.

The margin of women who didn't vote in swing states like Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin could have potentially swayed the outcome of the election. In general, the United States has a pretty bad reputation for voter turnout. Voting is a direct way to change the political landscape of this country. Be informed about local and district candidates as well. The president isn't the only person who can affect the pace of change in this country.

With the Women's March on Washington already fading into history textbooks, it's important to keep its message alive. Fight for your rights and stand up for what you believe in. In doing so you'll be taking full advantage of the democracy we are living in.