College Close To Home Isn't Always A Bad Thing

Making sure to keep your options open when applying to colleges can be a savior when it comes to your final decision.

6

All our lives, we as students are told that going to college is about finding out who you are, growing up, and becoming educated at a higher level. I was beyond excited to begin this new chapter in my life. Upon searching for the school I wanted to attend I had myself convinced that no school in the midwest would give me the hands-on marine science experience that research closer to the coast could. My own strong will had sculpted a tunnel vision around my college admission goals, funneling me towards coastal schools and away from my home state of Wisconsin. I never truly felt the midwest to be my home until (ironically) the minute I left.

After a summer at FSU, I began to dread my return for the fall semester. Having completed a full college semester at the southern "school of my dreams" I realized something very important about where one chooses to go to college. As a senior, it is easy for you to become blinded by the excitement of independence and the chance of living somewhere new. What should not be overlooked, is the value of what home truly means. Being close to family and familiarity while enduring this giant leap into adulthood can be very beneficial to a new college student. Having people you are familiar with and that are familiar with you can help some of the roadblocks of life be paved over smoothly. People that you can trust will help save your sanity that first semester or even year.

As easy as it is to become stubborn and get carried away when applying to college it is very important to remember a few key concepts. Keeping a couple of schools on your application roster that is close to home is very important when making the choice of where to go to school. Senior year is a whirlwind of emotions and before the May 1 deadline, your feelings may change. Having the option to remain close to home will be one that you are glad you gave yourself.