10 Reasons You Should Go To College Out of State

2. You get to experience different traditions and cultures.
52

College can be a terrifying transition and change, but it can also be the best change of your life. When I decided to go to college out of state I was really scared. In fact, a few weeks before I left for college I began regretting my decision and highly contemplating whether or not I should actually go. Now that I am a junior in college I can safely say that leaving my home state for college was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

1. You get to meet new people.

The great thing about being away from home is getting to meet completely new people and start fresh after living with the same circle of people for the last 18 years. You get to meet people you may have never met if you never went away for school!

No two places in the United States are the same, and the customs and norms differ from place to place. College is a great time to experience some different societal norms than back at home. It may be a bit of a culture shock at first, but it is worth it.

3. You always have something to bring up in "small talk".

When you go to college and start meeting new people, small talk is inevitable. Being outside of your home state for college is a perfect topic of conversation.

4. You get to try new foods.

One of my favorite things about being away from home is getting to try new restaurants and new foods. Now, I have a list of favorite restaurants at college and at home.

5. It makes going home more special.

Distance makes the heart grow stronger, and boy is that true when you're away at college. Going home for the holidays is so much more special when you can't drive home every couple of weekends.

6. You become more independent.

College is a great time to exercise your new found independence, but when you're on your own, living in a new place you have no choice but to grow up quickly.

7. You become a more well-rounded person.

Being exposed to new traditions, customs, languages, populations and social norms increases your knowledge and experience, even if you're just one state over.

8. You get to learn new slang.

Every part of the country speaks a little differently, and you're bound to pick up some new terms in your vocabulary when you're away from home. Ever since I moved from California to Texas for college, I haven't been able to stop saying "Y'all," and I'm not mad about it.

9. You get to experience climate change.

If you're from Southern California like me, then you pretty much only have one season. Now, I get to experience all four seasons and some (stupid) humidity, as well. But the humidity is definitely worth it when fall comes around and I get to see the changing colors of the leaves.

10. You get to show off your hometown when your friends come to visit.

The coolest thing about meeting friends from other places is having them visit and showing them around all of your favorite spots and restaurants.