6 Things You Need To Know Before Touring Colleges

Surprise, it's about more than just what you wear.

90
Meredith Scroggin

I feel like the college admissions process was forever ago, but yet also just a few days ago. My sister is now at the age where she's going into that crazy time period of applying for colleges, and it hit me how crazy and stressful that was. When I see tours on my campus, my heart shines so proudly and I hope that they all end up choosing the best school out there. But as many of us know, you'll visit a lot of schools.

You may have the perfect idea of the kind of school (or even the particular school) you want, but almost every single person I know ended up somewhere different than they had thought they would. Yes, that's scary to think about (especially when you're someone like me who has to know everything in advance), but that's why I'm trying to stress that you should visit every school you have a chance to and not turn any away. My family's biggest thing was always just visiting a school even if you know you're not going to apply (especially if you're going to be near it anyways) so you at least have something to compare it to and you know what you do and don't want.

1. Set up an actual tour and visit.

Most times, there'll be a tour and an information session. A lot of people think about driving by and touring on their own, and while that's a good idea if there's no other option, your opinion on the school differs greatly if it's not an official visit. For example, I visited a school while the school was on fall break and there wasn't anyone there, and it didn't have as good of an impression as it would have if I had gone to the "official stuff." Also, some schools count interest as a point of admission, meaning that when you visit, it's marked in their records for them when you apply and gives you a leg up.

The information session is important because they'll tell you what they want you to know about the school and how to apply and get in. It's the perfect chance to ask questions... but only questions that an admissions office can answer. Please, for the love of everything good, don't ask questions that are on their website or that are only personal to your situation, i.e., "Are you on the Common App?" or "If I want to play soccer at your school, how can I get a scholarship?" It's completely frustrating to others there and also makes you look like you don't know your facts about the school.

The tour is also important, but again, they're going to show you the absolute best parts of campus in order to get you to attend. What you need to think about during this is "Can I see myself here?" Look at the people walking around campus, in the library, and think about if you could see yourself as a student walking around. It's a hard way to explain it, but if you have no clue what you're looking for, this is a good way to help you. I most definitely felt that about lots of schools I visited, and of course, when I visited Richmond, I knew that it just felt like home.

2. Take notes, get the literature, and keep the names.

I know taking notes can sometimes come across as overeager, but it's insanely crucial to take notes while you're in the info session and immediately after. Sometimes you'll visit several schools on one trip and you'll think you can remember each of them, but you won't -- they'll all blend together. I had these papers that I would fill out after each visit where I wrote down interesting facts they brought up in the info session and then ranked my thoughts on random parts of the school, such as culture, food, campus, admissions, etc. They'll also have lots of different pamphlets for different aspects of the school (admissions, financial aid, different schools within the school, etc) and I suggest getting them all. You're not committed to each thing, but it's nice to have a quick overview of what they're saying is important and great.

There will be lots of people leading different sessions and tours and people you get in contact with, so be sure to keep track of who's who (especially your regional director -- the person that'll most likely be overlooking your application) and get their email addresses. It's always nice to have to follow up after you visit or in case you have a question about your application. Feel free to talk to them after and ask questions and just simply talk to them about the school. This is their job and they love the school they're at and want to share their enthusiasm about it!

3. Try to see a dorm, the dining hall, and the gym.

I'm kind of nosy person and just absolutely love looking at the dorms. Housing wasn't really a make or break thing for me in a school, but it definitely helped when we got to see a dorm room and I could see myself living there. Funny enough, I toured the dorm I currently live in when I visited UR! Eating in the dining hall is also a cool experience I think people should have. Considering you'll be there a lot, it helps ease your mind about actually being a student at that school. Take that with a grain of salt, though, acknowledging that bigger schools aren't as focused on their dining halls. I specifically remember certain schools for their dining halls, and even got to eat with a student at one, which helped solidify my thoughts on it. The gym/recreation center can also be a large part of your school, so try to check it out if you can.

4. TALK TO PEOPLE.

I know it'll feel weird, but you have to remember that when you visit a school, they're going to tell you about the things they can actually tell. Not that there are secrets, but an admissions office isn't going to tell you about the culture of their school or their experiences, so if you get a chance to talk to a current student, TAKE IT. Students that are signed up for events with the admissions office are doing it because they love the school (and if they aren't, then that's a sign of the school itself) and want to tell you all about it. Don't be afraid to ask questions about how they chose their school, what they're studying, what they do there, and just about their personal experiences. In my opinion, it's the best way to get to know what the students of the school are like. Also, if you get the opportunity to, try to do an overnight. I didn't do one anywhere, but one of my friends did one at every school she was considering and she said it helped her make up her mind a lot. Plus, it can build communications if you have questions later on or if you actually end up attending.

5. Explore the city around.

I usually visited schools with my whole family, but when my mom and I visited a few in the spring, we would get there the night before our tour and just drive around to see what the city has. I think that early on in my college process, I didn't pay attention to the city, but it's a huge factor into where you decide to go. Do you want a college town where most of the campus is the whole city, or a school that's more closed, or a school in a big city? It's totally a personal opinion, but something to consider when you'll be thinking about career or volunteer opportunities, plus the social aspects. Do most people go off campus to eat at restaurants? Are there concerts in the city? Try to get a feel for the city and see how it correlates with the campus -- this'll help you think about how you could see yourself there.

6. Don't stress about what you wear, but like, still do.

I was someone who always dressed up for tours, simply because you never know who you're going to meet. It doesn't really matter for your application what you wear (they're not going to look at your app and think, "Oh, that girl wore a t-shirt, we're going to reject her"), but if you do happen to meet someone, you want them to remember you for your dedication to looking presentable. Dress comfortably, but also cute. For visits when it was warm, I wore simple dresses and ballet flats (sandals will make your feet hurt so badly.... the Jacks aren't worth it), and when it was cooler, casual dresses/skirts, cable knit sweaters, riding boots, and tights. Sometimes I would wear ballet flats with tights, but everyone knows how much warmer boots are. Bring a coat, because you'll be walking a lot and even if it's not completely fashionable, your impression of the school will be altered if you're freezing.

Happy college shopping and hit a girl up if you need any information on Richmond.