When You're Not "That Girl"

When You're Not "That Girl"

We all know "that girl," the kind who can claim a guy's attention all with the bat of an eye and a smile.

192
When You're Not "That Girl"

I recently came across a video on Buzzfeed entitled "That Girl." What it centers around is the negative feelings/thoughts that many women have about themselves almost daily; the feelings of inadequacy, insecurities, not feeling beautiful enough, feeling unworthy, etc.

The woman in the video goes on about how she wishes she could be "that girl"- that girl who gets hit on everywhere she goes, that girl who finds a new relationship right after one ends, that girl who can look effortlessly gorgeous with no makeup on.

However, at the end of the video, she explains how while she'll never be "that girl," what she can be is "that girl" who simply lives her life and achieves her dreams. This video was so powerful I certainly recommend you watch it:

Anyways, I found this video to be a source of comfort as well as inspiration for what I am writing about today. I've never been that comfortable sharing my deep feelings about this topic, but I feel that through writing, I can claim some inner peace while helping others out there, too. So here it goes:

The reason why I am so drawn to this video is that I have never really been "that girl" myself. I don't want to sound like I'm asking for a pity party or for people to feel bad for me. That's not what I'm trying to accomplish with this.

What I AM trying to accomplish is voicing my frustrations and thoughts not only to work through this inner tension but also so that anyone reading this who may be going through the same things can find an outlet, something to let them know that they're not alone.

When I was a teenager, I never felt attractive or even worthy. I would see my female peers getting asked out on dates or walking around arm-in-arm with a guy and would wonder why that never happened to me. I felt that there was something wrong with me like I was the problem. Now I understand that it wasn't because of me at all.

Now, as a 21-year-old woman, I have definitely reclaimed feelings of self-worth and know that the right guy is out there for me. However, I still somewhat feel like I did back in high school. I don't feel like I'll ever be "that girl" – the kind who gets noticed from across a crowded room or who can claim a guy's attention all with the bat of an eye and a smile. I see other young women whenever I'm out, surrounded by various men and chatting them up. I sometimes feel invisible or like I'm not catching on to whatever formula these girls are using. It's like a secret club that I just can't become a part of.

So no, I am not "that girl."

I am not that girl who gets asked out regularly. I am not that girl who can get guys to buy her drinks at the bar let alone strike up a conversation. I am not that girl who can look like perfection without makeup. I am not that girl who gets over 100 likes and comments on her Instagram pics. I am not that girl who guys approach when out with her friends, rather I'm the one that they come up to ask about said-friends. I am not that girl who can add anything to conversations her friends are having about their relationships as I am and always have been the "single friend."

But you know what?

I may not be "that girl," but I am that girl who just lives her life. That girl who sets goals for herself and follows through with them. That girl who is driven, can lead, can persevere. That girl who does her best to be an amazing friend. That girl who will offer comfort and advice to anyone who needs it.

That girl who understands that her beauty is not measured by how much male attention she gets but rather by how she feels about herself. That girl who, no matter what, will walk around with her head held high and her lipstick on-point, ready to take on whatever the day has in store for her. That girl who has big dreams for the future and big plans on how to achieve them. That girl who has faith that everything will one day work out for her.

So yeah, I think I would much rather be that girl.