That Moment You Realize Your "Home" is No Longer Home

Where you came from does not have to mean home.
289

Home is where my heart is... but what happens when you make your new home your actual home?

Home is where family is, where hometown friends are and where memories never fade. That sounds very sweet, sure. But when you realize your "home" is no longer home? When you come back to your hometown, and EVERYTHING has changed. New roads, new shopping centers, and all your favorite coffee shops and deli marts closed down?! Or when you've been away and your old friends don't miss you enough to hit you up when you're back in town? And in my case, my family has moved from my hometown while I was away at college.

It's funny though. I realized that "home" is where you make it a home. Where you came from does not have to mean home. Where you came from is where you grew up, to grow out of and into something new. Life is all about growing mentally, physically, and spiritually.

I realized that "home" isn't my home anymore once I felt super eager to go back to my apartment. I've learned all the roads in my new area, and I've become friends with the local bars and grocery stores. In addition, making friends with new people who are all out on their own as well, who want just as much company. More company than the hometown friends to care enough to check in on you, see how you're doing, and want to see you.

It's not a bad thing that the place you used to call home doesn't feel like home anymore. It's a good thing, because those attachments will keep you from holding yourself back. If anything, it makes you stronger and brave because you practice on letting go. Letting go is one of the hardest tasks in life, whether it be with relationships, bad habits, and drama. It opens new doors for you, because you aren't settling for what you're used to.

Home will always be where you came from. You obviously don't want to forget that. But you don't want it to define you, because again, life is about growing. You won't be the same person you were a few years ago, let alone a year ago. Don't forget your precious memories from your hometown. Just realize that home is where you make it home, where you genuinely feel happy enough to accept your new surroundings as home :).