When to Take Your Sick Child to the Doctor

When you’re a parent, you suddenly realize just how many things it’s possible to be afraid of. This is especially true if it’s your first child and you’re still learning the ropes.

7

.

When you’re a parent, you suddenly realize just how many things it’s possible to be afraid of. This is especially true if it’s your first child and you’re still learning the ropes. While there are things you can exert some direct control over (such as which kids they’re spending time with), it feels like there’s a whole world of uncontrollable, unpredictable dangers lurking around every corner. It’s enough to keep you awake all night, every night.

We live in an age of medical miracles and decades of scientific expertise to back them up. Yet still, when it comes to your child, it can feel like a total mystery when they’re sick. They might not have the words to express how they’re feeling if they’re even well enough to express it at all.

We’re not going to diagnose and promise a solution for every sick kid scenario. What we will do is take a look at some of the most common symptoms, their possible causes, and if the situation is worth a doctor’s visit or if a toddler multivitamin is all they need to perk them up.

Be Prepared

If it’s not a medical emergency and you’re in a position to get ahead of the game, there are some ways you can prepare for a call to your doctor. They’re going to need more information than just your child’s name and date of birth. You should plan on becoming a good record keeper and develop an eye for observation. Be ready to provide information about:

• History of vaccinations
  • Chronic conditions (asthma, diabetes, etc.)
  • Allergies, including any known drug allergies
  • Any prescribed medications your child is currently
  • Over-the-counter meds, toddler multivitamins they’re taking, etc.
  • Your child’s temperature
  • Symptoms, and whether they’ve changed or worsened

Non-urgent Symptoms

Even though it might feel like it, not every symptom indicates a visit to the emergency room. These general symptoms are worth talking about with your child’s doctor, but shouldn’t be considered panic-worthy:

• Cold symptoms or a cough that lasts longer than 10 days
  • Fever accompanied by sore throat
  • A rash that persists beyond three days
  • Pain in their ear
  • Persistent pain or swelling around what appears to be a mild injury
  • Symptoms that return repeatedly over time
  • Vomiting during a 24-hour period with no other symptoms of dehydration, not accompanied by diarrhea

If you’re unsure, it’s better to be safe than sorry and make that call to your doctor. It might even be something a toddler multivitamin can help with.

Watching for Symptoms

Because children at different stages of development have different needs, we will break the most concerning symptoms down by age.

Infants Under Three Months

Keep an eagle eye out when your young infant is showing signs of being unwell. You’ll need to pay extra close attention because their symptoms may worsen more quickly than an older infant or child.

Call your doctor or emergency services if your baby:

• Displays any visible injury
  • Has diarrhea
  • Is refusing to eat two consecutive times
  • Is unusually pale, purplish, or a worsening yellow color
  • Is grunting, wheezing, or otherwise having trouble breathing
  • Is unresponsive, difficult to wake up, or limp
  • Is repeatedly vomiting or projectile vomiting (not normal spitting up)
  • Shows no sign of urination for eight hours
  • Has a high-pitched cry for over an hour or is otherwise crying more than usual
  • Has purple or red freckles or a rash that looks like it could be bleeding under the skin

Older Infant or Child

Older babies and small children grow fast, and that means their health needs change quickly, too. Older children may be able to communicate how they’re feeling, which helps identify symptoms. A toddler multivitamin might help them feel better while you assess their symptoms.

Call your doctor or emergency services if your older baby or toddler:

• Seems more sick than usual with something common, such as a cold
  • Has stomach pain, especially on the lower right side, that lasts over 2 hours or worsens
  • Has difficulty breathing
  • Unusually severe headache
  • Has bloody vomit or stool
  • Is sick with a temperature of 102 F, or any temperature above 102 F
  • Is dehydrated, evidenced by not urinating for 12 hours, dry mouth, crying with no tears
  • Is limp or unresponsive
  • Has a skin infection that worsens with a red streak or spreading redness, the area feels firm and pus is present, and there’s a fever

Baby Steps

We hope this list has given you a little peace of mind. Babies and toddlers always seem like they’re sick with one thing or another, so don’t panic. Keep some toddler multivitamins on hand, watch for symptoms, and keep good records. Your baby (and your doctor) will thank you!