When Princeton Said Yes

When Princeton Said Yes

A reflection on my high school journey and my acceptance to Princeton University

241
When Princeton Said Yes
Nicole Williams

On “Ivy Day,” March 30th at 5pm, I would hear back from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, University of Pennsylvania, and Dartmouth. But even before that fateful day, I had received full rides to Kenyon College, Williams College, Wellesley College, Howard University, Vassar College, George Washington University, and Bowdoin, so I knew even if I didn’t get into any the ivies, I would be alright. I was in my good friend’s car with her mom and her younger sister on our way to a Multicultural Dinner at Morris Hills High School for Melanin Minds when I opened the decisions.

Brown was the first one I opened. This was the school I applied Early Decision to and originally was deferred. It was my top choice. “It is with great regret to inform you that your application could not be included among our acceptances…” Denied.

Next, Columbia... “After careful review of your application... has chosen to postpone a final decision...” Waitlisted.

Dartmouth... “After a thoughtful consideration... The Admissions Committee has denied your application...”

UPenn... “It is with genuine regret that I inform you that we are not offering you admission.”

Harvard, my middle school dream... “I am very sorry ...”

Yale... “I am genuinely sorry that we are not able to offer you a place...”

At this point I had all but given up. I signed onto my Princeton account, bracing myself for another “genuine” rejection.

Princeton... “CONGRATULATIONS!”

I. COULD. NOT. BELIEVE. IT. The only words I could utter were “whatttt” and “wow” and “omg... omg!” and “I can’t...”

With this acceptance, I began to reflect on my four years of high school and how I got here...

I never considered myself to be “smart.” I never thought I would do something great in my life -- I wouldn’t go on to make a significant contribution to the world. Eventually, I realize, with the lessons of my parents, the best way to leave my mark was through education. So, as a middle school student, I had already had the dream of Harvard engrained in my mind. For the 6 past years, my goal was Harvard -- a mecca of some of the smartest minds in the world.

Fast forward to high school; I worked like there was no tomorrow. In my freshman year, I doubled in language because I loved French and figured Latin was best to study in order to help prepare for the SAT. My only elective, however, was choir. My sophomore year, I took two math classes (Geometry and Algebra II) because I had only taken Algebra I as a freshman -- all while still doubling in language. During junior year, I was still taking both AP Latin and AP French, and yet I also decided to take two histories: AP European History and US History II Honors. Oh, and I was also taking AP English Language. As a current senior, my Advanced Placement courses consist of AP Calculus A.B., AP Biology, and AP English Literature.

Throughout my junior year, one of my teachers was kind enough to tutor me for free because she truly believed I could make it into an Ivy League school. The first time I took the ACT was June of my junior year; My score? A 26. It was decent, but not nearly what was needed for acceptance into an Ivy League school. Because of my plans for the summer, I barely studied, but I completed the entire Princeton ACT Review book. I figured I would at least bring my score up one point, right?! Nope. To my surprise, my September ACT score was a 24. I wanted to cry; I was absolutely devastated, but I was not going to let this be the reason that prevented me from getting into a top school. Now with my classes starting back up, trying to fill out 25 college applications, and trying to maintain my extracurriculars, I barely had time to study for the ACT after school. So, I decided to wake up every day at 3 am to study for the test. I did research online and came across Prep Blog Scholar’s articles on how to score a perfect ACT score. I bought all of the books they suggested and studied intensely. The day I took the test in October, I got extremely sick, but I still went to take it anyway. I scored a 26. To say the least, this was extremely depressing. I thought this was my last time I would have to take the test. I signed up for the December test, just to prove to myself that I could score higher, but I didn't think I would have the chance to send my score to my schools. On the December test, there was no pressure (since I had already sent the scores), so I found the test to be fairly easy to complete. To my absolute surprise, I scored a 29 (with a perfect score in the English section). I was so proud of myself. I brought up my score by 5 points all through self-studying. Looking back, I know if I had given myself more time to study, I could have scored higher, but I was happy with my score -- I gave it my best with the time I had left.

I knew that top schools would want to see that I did something meaningful during my summers. The summer after my freshman year, aside from spending time with my family, was spent taking a self-paced Latin course. The course allows students to complete coursework over the summer. I took advantage of this opportunity to do as much coursework as possible and made visits to go see my Latin teacher during their summer office hours in order to complete assessments. Because I took this initiative, I was able to take AP Latin as a junior rather than as a senior. The summer after the end of my sophomore year I attended the Harvard Summer School Program. I took two college-level courses while living on Harvard’s campus for 7 weeks. The summer before before my senior year,I spent 5 weeks living with a host family in France and taking French courses.Harvard and France were both enlightening and life-changing experiences.

I worked on my college essays with the help of various guidance counselors, my parents, my teachers, and Emily Wolper (who I owe a special thanks to for helping me with my Common Application Essay) for weeks before submitting all 25 applications.

I worked hard to get where I am today. And while I acknowledge the privileges and much help I had in getting here (educated parents, a two-parent household, etc.), the road to get where I am was in no way easy, and I am so proud of where I am today. All of the hard work was worth it and I will finally be the first Williams to attend an Ivy League University. At the end of the day, I held the qualities of integrity, honesty, and genuine hard work close to my heart and it not only got me here today, but it will stay with me in all of my future endeavors.

But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.
2 Chronicles 15:7