When Fitness Meets Charity

When Fitness Meets Charity

How Fitness Goals Can Cause Good For Others

8
When Fitness Meets Charity
Google images

It was December of 2015 that I decided I was going to make a dedicated effort to changing my life. Let’s face it: I was miserable. I was easily 50 pounds overweight, I was starting to feel myself become depressed because of it, and had a terrible case of “poor me”. Every morning I would wake up with my son and just want to crawl back onto the couch for the day and not move and basically think about all the things I should be doing. I look back on that time as a very dark time for me and I knew that I needed to do something to snap myself out of it or else I would be headed down a very bad road.

I forget exactly what day it was but as I was driving down the highway, I happened to notice that a brand new gym had opened two minutes from my home. My mind jumped into action. If you wake up early, you would be gone and back by the time the baby got up. Working out is good for you and will make you feel better. Think of all of the ways this could be good. That night, I went online and signed up for that gym. Bright and early the next morning I was still sleeping on the couch at 5:30 AM (the time I was supposed to be going to the gym). My fiancé happened to get up at that time, woke me up, and asked if I was going. Begrudgingly, I got up and dragged my very sleepy butt to the gym. The entire ride there I was trying to remind myself why I was doing this…. I could be sleeping! For those of you that have an infant or a toddler, you will know that sleep is golden. But, I was up — I might as well go.

Forty-five minutes later, I walked out of the gym feeling like a completely new person. I was wide awake, I felt sore but great, I was high on working out and I wanted more! After that morning I never had to be woken up to go to the gym again. While it was work to get myself into the habit of getting up and going, it started to become second nature to me. All of the sudden, working out combined with a healthier eating style that I put together five pounds came off…. then ten…. then twenty. All of the sudden between December and March, I had lost nearly forty pounds! I felt like a completely new person. I was driven, I was motivated. I found it fun to set and keep fitness goals for myself. I started putting together workout plans which would test and try new exercises that I had never attempted before.

The ultimate challenge that I decided to undertake in March of 2016 was to sign up for a 5k. Running was something that I had enjoyed many years ago. Sometime in 2011, I signed up for a 5k with every intention of completing it. However, one thing led to another, excuses came up and ultimately I bailed on it. It was a decision that I still regret today. As I started to work out and run again, that same 5k came to mind. The Valerie Fund is the primary backer of the 5k held in Verona, New Jersey. The Valerie Fund is a not-for-profit organization that began in 1976 by two parents who lost their child due to childhood cancer. Since that time, it has grown by leaps and bounds under the mission of being able to provide support and health care for children who are fighting cancer or blood disorders. Back in 2011, the story of this fund touched me but now that I am a parent, this foundation touches my life even more. I am blessed enough to have a beautiful and healthy little boy who I pray will never have to feel any effects of cancer and I am not sure what I would do if I was ever put in that situation.

I knew that this was the goal for me: not only complete this 5k, but try and raise as much money as I possibly could for this cause. Between just March and into April I was able to raise nearly $300. Then the third week in April came and I found out I was pregnant. While I was excited, I also thought of my 5k. There was no way that I would be able to run the 5k the way I truly wanted to so I took a great big sigh and realized it would not happen in 2016.

2017 is a completely different story! Even though I am 31 weeks pregnant, I have already signed up to run this race in June of 2017. Why? For a number of reasons! First and foremost, as I stated earlier, I love this cause and the reasoning behind it. I want to start early and raise as much awareness and money as I can for this wonderful organization that does nothing other than support and care for these sick children and their families. Secondly, signing up for this race helps to keep me focused on my fitness goals. When I am in the gym, I am thinking ahead that the work I am doing now will keep my body in good condition for when I am ready to get back to running. I found a passion within this organization and the goals I have made for myself. I am living proof that lives can be changed and touched by continuing to make the correct and healthy choices and ultimately those choices can prove to be a great help to those around you.

If you are interested in donating to this cause, you can visit https://www.thevaleriefund.org/Walk2017/team.php?team=1431 which is a direct link to my team page through The Valerie Fund. This is NOT a Go Fund me page and all proceeds donated will go directly to The Valerie Fund. Even $5 would be a tremendous help in the lives of these children and their families. Thank you in advance for any donations you are able to make!