When Is Enough, Enough?
Politics

When Is Enough, Enough?

The time for change is now.

7
When Is Enough, Enough?

This past week, the United States Senate blocked four new gun control measures following the Orlando massacre. The initial reaction for most people is how exactly they could do this? After so many tragedies that this country has endured in the recent years, most recently last weekend, how could the senate block gun control measures? This personally left me mind blown, trying to find a reason or logic as to why this would happen. As I searched around for a concrete answer, I just kept running around in circles. There was no justification for this act, after such a tragedy. But, then again, I cannot say that I was really surprised. There has been so many events that should have warranted change, but no change has happened. So the question stands still, when is enough, enough?

The fact that gun control is such a controversial topic really does not make sense to me. It is a fact; people have the right to have guns. That is not a question. And people should have the right to exercise that right. I personally am not a gun owner, but I know plenty of them, and they are all ‘good’ people. I do not look at them differently. I do not turn away in fear of them.

A person with a gun killed 20 first graders, a man with a gun killed 49 additional people, and there have been events in between, before, and there will be after. It is time to look at the people who have access to these weapons. It is time for legislation to change and people to get serious. This has gotten out of control and guess what, no one is safe. We are all living in a world that is unsafe. We cannot live in fear, and we shouldn’t have to. We are to live life without fear and anxiety, knowing that we will come home safe at the end of each night.

My wish is that things change. The time is now. The time is now for everyone to band together to make change. This is not a party issue, this is a human issue. This is something that all Americans need to band together and make happen. Because guess what, it will not get better unless something is done.

As I conclude this piece, I really do not want to hear anyone’s opinion about what I have to say. I am not in politics; I am not a public figure. I am simply an American citizen, who worries about the future of this country. Every single person is entitled to his or her own opinions, that is what makes the world go round. But what cannot happen is people being afraid to address their opinions. This is mean, and although people may not agree, there is no need to voice that to me. Voice your opinion and I will respect it, regardless of whether I agree or not. That is what I ask for as well.