What's On My Plate?

What's On My Plate?

Here are 5 healthy foods that actually taste good!

45
What's On My Plate?
sexyfitvegan.com

When I was growing up, my mom was always very careful to make sure me and my sisters had a healthy diet. Going along with this wasn't always hard for me; but there were certain occasions where it was. I can remember sitting at my place at dinner, poking around at a pile of brussel sprouts on my plate. Sometimes I would ask for the tiny portion that we called "a no-thank-you helping." Other times, when I thought my mom wasn't looking, I would take my napkin, put it on top of the offending pile of food, and quickly dump it in the trash. It wasn't that I didn't want to be healthy. But to me, enduring the taste and texture of certain foods was simply not worth the health benefits.

The good news is -- some of the world's healthiest foods taste delicious! Here are five of my favorites. You are bound to find at least a few on this list that you would love too.

1. Fruit

Very few people don't like fruit, and for good reason! There is such a wide variety to chose from, and you may be surprised by the many different things each type of fruit can do for your body (USDA). Eating fruit for breakfast is a good way to wake up your brain and body (the brain runs off of glucose), and stimulate your digestive tract from it's long period of inactivity. Here are just a few favorite types of fruits along with what they can bring to the human body:

- Blueberries: one of the most powerful antioxidants in the world

- Strawberries: loaded with vitamin C, fiber and manganese

- Pineapple: potassium, copper, manganese, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, beta carotene, thiamin, B6, and folate, as well as soluble and insoluble fiber

2. Nuts

These are an easy and satisfying snack food. They also contain nutrients that many people are deficient in, such as magnesium and vitamin E. Almonds can actually help you lose weight and benefit your metabolic health (everydayhealth.com). Peanuts are also high in nutrients, and some studies have also indicated that they can help with weight loss. If you don't like the taste of plain nuts, then try eating them covered in dark chocolate!

3. Dark Chocolate

Not everyone has a taste for dark chocolate, but I personally like it better than regular milk chocolate! Another one of the best sources of antioxidants on the planet, dark chocolate can also improve health and lower the risk of heart disease. It's a delicious and super healthy alternative to dessert (authoritynutrition.com).

4. Dairy

Some people have to avoid all dairy; but those of us who can have it should take advantage of it's benefits (USDA). Dairy that comes from grass fed cows is even better. Cheese and yogurt are two of my favorite types of dairy to eat.

5. Homemade Bread

Anyone who knows me well knows I've always loved my carbs and my bread. Many store-bought breads are not all that nutritious, especially not white bread! The nice thing about making your own bread is that you know exactly what you are putting into it (livestrong.com). Be sure to incorporate lots of whole grains. Whole grains have a plethora of nutrients, including protein, fiber, B vitamins, antioxidants, and trace minerals (iron, zinc, copper, and magnesium). Eating a lot of whole grains can reduce risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity, and some forms of cancer (webmd.com).

Many more delicious, healthy foods could have gone on this list, so I encourage you to research them yourself!

Get creative! There are a lot of different recipes and combinations out there that can make each of the foods on this list even more enjoyable to consume. Just make sure that in the cooking process you continue to use the healthiest alternative (for example, you could use olive oil instead of butter). You will enjoy your meals even more when you know the food you are eating is both delicious and nutritious.