What’s In My Commuter Car: College Edition

I commute 45 miles to college every weekday so I know a thing or two.

63
Photo by Apollo Wolff on Unsplash

Yes, you heard that right; I commute 45 mile to campus every weekday. And yes, that is a ton of driving; however, I am saving money!

To start, let's look at the car that I drive. Then I will show you the things I keep in my car. Everything is linked in the headlines.

My Car: 2013 Ford C-Max SEL

Google

Most people have never heard of this car, but let me tell you — it is a hidden gem. This car is a hybrid, which means it drives both electrically and by gas. I get around 45-60 mpg depending on the road I am driving on and how well I drive. This is a very affordable and great commuter car.

Non-Perishable Snacks

If you are anything like me, you are hungry. All the time. I love having snacks in my car so I can quickly grab something and go to class. I don’t keep anything fresh or anything that can melt in my car though. Some things I have in there are pop tarts (yes healthy I know), nuts, granola bars, chips, etc.

Water Bottles 

Just like the snacks, it’s easy to grab and go on the way to class. Plus it’s always a good idea to have water in the car in case you get stuck somewhere.

Basket in the Trunk

Amazon

This is what I keep my snacks and water bottles in. I keep this basket in my trunk.

Blankets and a Pillow 

Since I drive 45 miles to campus, I don’t have the luxury of napping in my dorm between classes. I sleep in my backseat! All you really need is one pillow and maybe two blankets if it is especially cold outside.

Jumper Cables

Amazon

I keep this in my car for obvious reasons. Everyone should have a set of jumper cables in their car in case their car or someone else’s is dead.

Tire Pressure Gauge

Amazon

This is also a great product to have handy. If your tire pressure light comes on in your car, you will want to have a gauge to see which tire is low and know how much more air you need to put in it.

Extra Pair of Clothes 

Things happen. We get dirty. We get wet. This is why I keep an extra pair of clothes in my car.

Umbrella

Amazon

I love being prepared with a cute umbrella. I really like these ones because they are very compact and small.

A Hat, Gloves, and Warm Coat

Instead of keeping these items at my house, I keep them in my car that way I don’t forget them. I keep these in a separate basket along with a windbreaker and light jackets. 8