What is Actually Happening in The Amazon?

The Amazon is being destroyed and we should all be worried.

6

By now, most of the world is aware of the situation going on with the Amazon. Some might be thinking 'well why should that concern me?' and the answer to that is The Amazon is vital to our survival as a civilization. 20% of our oxygen comes from the rain forest that's currently in danger.

The rain forest is important for many reasons and its preservation is most vital to human existence. Besides being home to many animals and Indigenous territories, the rain forest helps regulate the climate and air pollution. That's not all the Amazon does for us, it also keeps half of the world's water supply and helps us to avoid droughts and excessive heat. Even though the Amazon also provides soil nutrients and many of its plants have been used for a base in modern medicine people still don't care about its importance.

So what are the governments doing to save the Amazon? Brazil's president has just rejected $20 million that the world leaders agreed to give at the G7 Summit. Many have accused the president of allowing the deforestation of the rain forest to increase corporate profits. And where does our president Donald Trump stand with the situation? The United States President decided against attending the very important meeting.

Donald Trump has notably been a climate change denier and not attending the meeting only confirms the fact that the president doesn't believe in the grave danger the world is in. The big decision that proves this is the United States' exit of the Paris Climate Agreement. When President Trump made the decision to leave the Paris agreement, he solidified the notion to other nations that the climate crisis is not important. With the Amazon in its current state, there is no more important time for society to speak out against those who do not see this as an emergency.