What I Wish My Old Best Friend Knew

What I Wish My Old Best Friend Knew

In some way, you will always be my best friend.

108
What I Wish My Old Best Friend Knew
Google

Every girl at one point has lost a best friend, whether it was because of a fight or you just grew apart. Sometimes that old best friend turns into an enemy. Sometimes she turns into a stranger you no longer know anything about. However you lose your best friend, it still hurts just the same. Someone who was once a person you couldn't picture your life without is not there anymore. They had a part of your heart at one point and when you stopped being friends it's like that part left with them.

In high school, I lost two of the best friends I had ever had, and maybe ever will. We were so close it was like they were the sisters I never had and before I even knew it, they were no longer in my life. One of them I got into a fight with and we just couldn't recover, no matter how hard we tried; the other, we simply just grew apart. I've thought about those lost friendships throughout the years since and I realized there is so much I would like to tell them, but at this point, I just don't know how. So this is what I would say if I could...

First off, I'm sorry for how our friendship ended. There were hurt feelings on both ends and now it all seems so silly to me. To let something so juvenile in the grand scheme of things come between us is so sad. I know at the time both of us stuck to our guns and were not willing to admit we might be wrong, but if I could go back, I would save our friendship over that argument.

Secondly, thank you so much for being there for me. We were friends in such a vulnerable time in a girl's life. You were there through high school relationships, my family's crazy drama, the time I threw a party so big a Rolex got stolen and I got grounded for like ever, when I started dating the person I would fall in love with, my first fight with him, and so much more. Without you, I wouldn't have been able to get through any of that. You were my rock, my person to cry to, my person to laugh with, the person to tell me I'm being crazy when I couldn't tell, the person to rescue me when I didn't even know I needed rescuing, and best of all, my partner in crime. I never had to question if I could count on you; you were always there.

Third, I wish you all the happiness in the world. Even though we don't talk nearly as much as we used to, I'm cheering you on from afar. Every time I see you come across social media and it's something positive, I'm so proud. I always knew you would do well and you would find happiness, but now that it's actually happening, it is so awesome to see. I like seeing you do well in school, make new friends and fall in love with a great guy. I can't wait to see what you do with your life, but whatever it is, I'll be happy for you.

Lastly, without you, I wouldn't be who I am today. I learned a lot from our friendship. I learned what a good friend is and what a best friend is, which are two completely different things. I learned that sometimes you need to be honest with your friend, even if it may hurt them. I learned sometimes you need to lie to you friend, like when she's ranting about how annoying her boyfriend is and she isn't overreacting is she? But she's yelling and pacing while doing this so you decide it's best to say she isn't overreacting because she just needs someone to be on her side right now and she'll realize she was being crazy on her own, after she's calmed down.

Through the years of our friendship so much happened, good and bad, but what was always constant was you, and for that I am grateful. Whenever I've thought about the fact that our friendship is lost, I've usually been upset, but lately, I've learned something. Not every friendship is meant to last forever. Some people come into our lives to teach us a lesson. Some people come into our lives to help us through a time we couldn't get through alone. Some people are meant to stay forever. All friendships are equally important. Your friendship was very important and served a purpose. While I am sad that our friendship had to end, I still remember all of the good times because, at the end of the day, you were my best friend at one point and in some way always will be.