What To Watch On Netflix During Fall Break

What to watch when you're avoiding homework

16

Let me just preface this by saying this: God bless fall break. Sure, it may appear on the calendar as just two reading days, but it's actually a lifesaving long weekend that allows us to survive the midterms, papers, and projects that somehow always manage to pile up all at once and threaten our mental and emotional stability. Even though we may go into fall break with admirable intentions to be productive and exercise and other impressive feats, I bet about 90% of us will spend at least half the time in bed, eating less-than-healthy food and watching Netflix for hours instead of catching up on all that history reading we fell behind in. So here are some notable movies and TV shows coming to Netflix this October that are perfect for wasting away all of your free time:

1. A Cinderella Story

This was one of our generation's favorite middle school chick flicks. Hilary Duff and Chad Michael Murray star as one of the cutest movie couples of all time as they act out a modern-day version of Cinderella. This is a perfect film to watch with your boyfriend or girlfriend, or by yourself with a pint of Ben and Jerry's in bed.

2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off

If you haven't seen this, you've been missing out on one of the greatest 80's films ever made and countless movie references. This is a fun comedy about a high school boy who develops elaborate schemes to skip a day of school and go on adventures with his best friend and girlfriend.

3. Grizzly Man

Arguably one of the most intense, incredible documentaries ever made. It's based off of the real-life Grizzly Man, Timothy Treadmill, who lived in Alaska among a whole tribe of grizzly bears, and includes his own personal footage from his interactions with training and coexisting alongside of these wild animals.

4. Unforgiven

If you're a fan of Clint Eastwood movies, you'll love this film about two groups of gunfighters who compete to collect a reward for a murder in the old West. It also got an almost-perfect rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so it's worth the watch.

5. American Horror Story: Season 5

Season 5 of pretty much everyone's favorite show is dropping on Netflix just in time for fall break. This is also the perfect weekend to binge watch all of the seasons if you haven't watched any of this demon-filled drama yet.

6. Murder Maps: Season 2

Murder Maps is a popular History Channel documentary-drama that details and re-enacts some of the most famous murder cases in history. This season will focus on the city of London, and the dark secrets it holds.

7. Gentleman's Agreement

This Oscar-winning movie is slightly older, but an incredible historical perspective into the anti-Semetic hardships Jewish Americans endured in New York City. A man pretends to be a Jew while writing a newspaper article on religious bigotry, and learns important things about society and his country along the way.

8. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

This famous rom-com will finally be streaming on Netflix, so you get to enjoy Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson as she tries to write an article about how to get a guy to leave you in 10 days, while he confidently bets that he can make a woman fall in love with him in the same amount of time.

9. Unsealed: Alien Files: Season 4

Using the thousands of classified documents the FBI released detailing alien activity and UFO sightings due to the Freedom of Information Act, Unsealed investigates a different case each episode with the previously confidential government files. Reviewers have said that after just an episode, they now believe that we are not alone in the universe...still worth watching, though?

10. The Uninvited

The Uninvited is for all you horror thriller fans, following the death of a mother, the engagement of a father to the mother's nurse, and the appearances of ghosts claiming murder and foul play. Not a scary movie person, but this is supposed to be a good one.

11. Titanic

And, of course, one of the most famous and most awarded movies of all time. Who doesn't love this classic drama featuring young Leo DiCaprio *swoon* and Kate Winslet aboard the ill-fated Titanic? This movie is basically a rite of passage into adulthood. And come on, just look at how he looks at her.

Since we've all probably accepted that we won't do any homework all of break, you might as well use your time somewhat wisely and watch at least some of these while off of classes. I'm probably just going to watch Titanic five or six times, because, you know, Leo, but maybe I'll branch out.