What To Do When Everything Goes Wrong

What To Do When Everything Goes Wrong

How to handle life when it kicks you in the butt.

171
What To Do When Everything Goes Wrong
www.marksdailyapple.com

We all have those days, weeks or even sometimes months, where nothing seems to go our way. It really sucks; there's no other way to put it. Sometimes bad things happen to good people, and there’s nothing we can do about it except deal with it, and get over it. But before you start to beat yourself up about whatever it might be, relax and try to do these things next time everything goes wrong.

Take a deep breath.

According to the American Institute of Stress, taking a deep breath triggers something called the “relaxation response.” This response decreases your metabolism, slows your heart and your breathing, relaxes your muscles, and decreases your blood pressure. Sometimes that’s all we need — to just take a deep breath, slow our breathing and relax in order to not get overly upset and freak out about things that are going wrong.

Evaluate the situation.

This is another thing that you should probably do before you start freaking out about something that went wrong. Think about the situation. Put everything in perspective. Is this something that will really matter in 5 years? If the answer is "no," then yeah, it might suck now, but it’s just something that you’re going to have to deal with for a while until time goes on. Another thing you have to realize is that it might be something way out of your control. You can’t continue beating yourself up over some outcome that you can’t change now.

Remember that pain is temporary.

You won’t feel like this forever. It’ll pass and you’ll be mad at yourself if you spent so much time dwelling over something that went wrong in your life. Cuts and bruises heal, just like you will.

Remember that complaining won't help.

You can argue that it’s therapeutic, but it isn’t. It’s just going to make you feel worse. Complaining also isn’t doing anything to help the situation. Complaining and worrying won’t change what happened, or what will happen. It’s just something that will stress you out and make you feel worse.

Take another deep breath and relax.

Stop thinking about whatever it is that happened. It happened. It’s a part of life. Try to keep yourself calm and relaxed.

Give yourself a break.

Sometimes you really just need to chill out. If everything seems to be going the opposite way you had originally planned, maybe you just need to take a few steps back and stop for a while. That doesn’t mean you’re giving up. You’re giving yourself time to recover from whatever happened, relax, think about what happened, and think about how you will over come it.

Stay positive.

No matter how awful you’re feeling because of whatever happened to you, being negative won’t make it better. Attitude is everything. Force yourself to look at the bright side, secure a smile on your face and stay positive. Every time you fall down, get back up. Be strong: life might be tough, but you have to be tougher. No matter what crazy thing life decides to throw at you, and no matter how many times you fall down, you have to get back up and stay positive.

Every curveball that life decides to throw at you will just make you stronger in the long run. Sometimes a million things have to go wrong before they can go right. But they will go right eventually, trust me.