What They Didn't Tell You About Graduating High School

"It's totally okay to not love college the second you get there, and it's okay to get homesick."

180
Courant

I'd consider high school graduation to be one of the best days of my life. I worked hard in high school to get into my dream college (which I did), and I was really proud as I walked across the stage. I was one of those people that loved high school. I loved my friends. I loved my life. I don't think I would admit it then, but I was honestly pretty terrified to go to college. Honestly, theres some things people don't tell you about graduating high school. Consider this article a full disclaimer to the things you can expect... but that they don't really tell you

Your friends... will still be your friends.

Don't be so terrified about losing your high school friends if they're going to a different school than you. I just finished my sophomore year of college, and I still am friends with all of my close friends from high school. Sure, you may not see them as often, but you're definitely still going to text, snapchat, comment on each other's instagrams-- whatever. Stop being so worried about losing your friends.

You'll make fast friends.

Yeah, this is something they do tell you. However, I don't think I realized coming to college just how fast the friends I met early on would become some of my very best friends. I knew I'd make friends, but I really didn't know how close I could become to people I had only met weeks ago.

It may take you a bit to adjust.

My first month of college was a roller coaster. I was having a lot of fun, but it was weird to have to shower in a bathroom I shared with forty other girls. It's totally okay to not *love* college the second you get there, and it's okay to get homesick. Stick it out, I promise after the first month you'll have "the hang of things" and will feel much better.

Your dorm room doesn't have to be perfectly decorated.

Honestly, I paid no attention to how my dorm was decorated after probably the first week or two of living there. After the first weeks of seeing your new friends' dorms and stuff, they all just become... well, dorms. Decorate as much as you want to feel more at home (think pictures and things like that), but you don't need everything on those sample "college packing lists."

Honestly, you won't even spend much time in your dorm room.

Between class, studying, hanging out with your friends, meetings, clubs, eating, and everything else... you won't really be in your dorm as often as you think besides crucial sleeping time. This makes it a lot more bearable to live in a 4x4, so don't worry too much if your dorm room doesn't exactly feel like "home."

College classes are hard, choose them wisely.

I'm not gonna lie to you. Your classes are going to become more difficult. Make sure you look up your professors on Rate My Professor or Koofers, because a professor can make or break a class. Honestly, no one really tells you this before you register at orientation. Ask for recommendations of classes to take if you know older people attending your university. Try and plan out your schedule before orientation, and then you can be prepared to ask a counselor if what you're thinking is okay. Trust me, everyone is clueless about what classes you're actually supposed to take, so do a little bit of research.

Literally no one knows where they're going.

Yeah, I walked around with a map on my first day of college and looked like a total freshman. It's cool. Some upperclassmen may think it's funny, but seriously I promise if you ask someone where to go, they're not gonna think you're a lame freshman. Look, we all were clueless freshman before; we all were scared to ask for help.

It's okay if you loved high school... or if you didn't.

The next four years are your time to start fresh again. It's time to make new friends, to have new experiences, and probably to move out of your childhood home. If you're like me and loved high school, this is probably terrifying. It's okay to have enjoyed the last four years and not want them to be over. It's okay to have wonderful high school memories and not necessarily be excited for the future yet. It's also okay if you're ready to get out of high school and never look back. It's cool if you're somewhere in between too. Mixed emotions are normal, so try not to freak out if you're feeling one way or another.

And something they do tell you.... College is great.

I was a skeptic, but I LOVE college. I've made incredible friends while keeping the ones I've always had. I love my campus, and I consider my college town my home. It did take some time, but I really do think I'm in the middle of some of the greatest years of my life.

To the high school graduate, enjoy this summer. Have fun attending all of your graduation parties and celebrating all of your friends. Have fun college shopping with your mom. This summer may be the best one you'll ever have, so live it up and then try not to be too nervous when move-in day rolls around. It will absolutely take some adjustment, but you're going to be just fine!