9 Times High School Sports Taught Me More Than Life Ever Will

Ball is literally life.

248
Author's photo

Basketball taught me more than any classroom ever could have.

1. Commitment 

Just like in a game of basketball you have to fight for the ball, in life you have to fight to survive. Things are not always rainbows and butterflies, but it's important to never stop fighting. When things get tough, you have to get tougher. You have to be committed from start to finish.

2. You need a support system 

Whether you're dribbling a ball down the court or learning to drive for the first time you need someone cheering you on. A big part of life is having a support system to get you through the rough times and even the good times. Cheerleaders cheer you on whether you're winning by 50 or losing by 50. Either way, they're just proud of you for doing your best.

3. Responsibility 

In the game of basketball it was my responsibility to make sure nobody entered the paint and scored. In life I have the responsibility of making sure the devil does not overtake my thoughts when things get rocky. I have to block him out. I have the responsibility of turning to God.

4. Importance of friendship 

Being a part of a team taught me so much about the importance of friendship. Your teammates become your best friends and together you make an unbeatable team.

5. Pride 

As soon as you put on the jersey you feel a sense of pride. You feel a sense of pride in your school, hometown, and in yourself. When you put on that jersey, you no longer represent just yourself, but instead, you represent your hometown and school also.

6. You win some and you lose some 

The night we advanced to the second round of the playoffs was the best night of my life. With just seconds left to go, my teammate drove into the paint and made the layup. However, we lost the second round of the playoffs by a whole lot more than just 2 points. Fortunately, because of this we only continued to work harder and learned from our mistakes just as you have to do in life.

7. Communication 

Without communication, the game of basketball would be almost impossible to play. My teammates always let me know if someone was down the court. Playing basketball taught me how to work well with others and communicate effectively.

8. Teamwork

There is a reason basketball is a game meant to be played by five people at a time and not just one on one. You have to have reliable teammates that know the meaning of teamwork. Just like in life, you need friends that work like a team.

9. Friendship 

Basketball allowed me to make so many friendships over the four years that I played, that I wouldn't have necessarily made without playing basketball. I am forever grateful to the game for bringing such a fun and loving group of people into my life.

Like I said before, ball is life. Simple as that.