What Society Doesn't Tell You About Adulting

"Everybody makes mistakes. Everybody has those days."

5
Music.Mic

Do you ever observe the lives of people around you? As an introvert and professional people watcher sometimes I just like observing how people's day are going. And do you know what I've realized from people watching in the middle of Walmart, or a personal favorite of mine, the airport? That us humans don't really have it all together even though we try and convince everyone else otherwise.

It's actually kind of funny. Why do we do this to ourselves? Everyone goes through stressful and challenging parts of the day and week. So why do we try and convince people that we have a perfect stress free life, with a perfect attitude and positive outlook on life 24/7?

Wouldn't it be a lot easier if we just admitted to ourselves and every one else for that matter that, you know what? I'm human and sometimes I don't have it all together, and that's actually okay. That seems a lot less stressful then trying to masquerade our problems and appear to be some flawless god.

At the end of the day, we know that's not the case anyway. I feel like admitting that we aren't perfect would take off 50% of the stress of why we aren't perfect in the first place. Mainly because we would stop trying to live our lives making sure that it looks pure and glamorous to everyone else. If we would just focus on living a life of excellence and not beating ourselves up when we do come up short then to me that's a whole lot more glamorous then trying to make sure no one sees that you've had a rough morning after spilling your breakfast on your shirt, locking your keys in the car, and leaving your lunch on the table.(Hopefully that doesn't happen to someone all in one morning.)

I find it sort of odd that we don't expect nearly as much from middle schoolers as we do from college students. Yes I understand that with age comes maturity(hopefully), responsibility and making wiser choices. But what's really the difference between that middle schooler and that college student? Are they not both humans trying to do the best they can and learning from their mistakes in life. Why does society look down on the college student that doesn't know how to apply for financial aid but doesn't look down on the middle schooler that leaves continuously leaves their backpack on the school bus?

All I'm saying is, we shouldn't be so harsh on each other. And most importantly, we shouldn't be so harsh on ourselves. I know it may seem like you're co-worker who just got a promotion, or your classmate who's number one in the grade has it all together. But in reality, they honestly don't. For you to compare yourself to someone based off of what they allow you to know about their life is pretty foolish.

I know I'm only seventeen years old and I don't know everything in the world, but I actually do listen to my parents(the majority of the time). When they give me insight on the adult world I really do soak it in. And what I have gathered from listening to them is that there is no magic number where you will one day wake up and be the perfect adult, with no problems, stress or mistakes. The important thing is to try and be the best that you can be, and if you fall short, there's always tomorrow!

"For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ." Galatians 1:10 ESV