These 4 Things Represent What Self-Care Means To Me

4 productive ways to help yourself feel better without the guilt.

67

I think the topic of self-care has been growing more popular lately, turning into a fad or a false ideal. When we think of what it looks like, we can generally imagine someone soaking in a bath and drinking wine. Don't get me wrong, that sounds like a dream, but it's not always so indulgent. From personal experience, I can't enjoy the bubble bath until I get the messy stuff done first. My goal is to show that self-care is more than just slapping on a face mask and letting yourself fall deeper in a Netflix series. You still have to do what's best for yourself!

Sometimes you have to put your foot down when it comes to your priorities. I know when I'm dreading a task, it will eat me up inside until it gets completed. I mean seriously, I get the worst anxiety yet, I still procrastinate!

That homework that you're putting off? Do it. That errand you need to run? Mark it off your to-do list. When you get home, that's when you can indulge in something fun. These are some prime examples of prioritizing what will actually make you feel better, instead of what will temporarily cure your angst.

Here are some less fun ideas for self-care that won't leave you feeling guilty!

Clean your room

I cannot stress this enough, a clean space creates a clear headspace. I love coming home to my bed made, clothes hung up, and everything in order. That might be the one thing in my life that feels organized, and it makes me happy.

Do your homework

This one isn't an obvious act of self-care because homework sounds like the last thing I want to do. However, getting it done takes a lot of weight off my shoulders. I feel less guilty about laying on the couch or going out with friends if I get my work done. It's worth it, and your GPA will thank you!

Go to therapy

This one sounds scary and intense, and it's by far the most difficult thing to do on this list. I started therapy only a week ago after weeks of agonizing over it. When I finally pushed myself to go, I felt ten times better. Simply going and making that first step really helped me. Knowing it will continue to help me in the future is also a huge stress-reliever. Always do what's best for yourself, even if it's hard.

Buy some groceries

If you suffer from anxiety, then you know how much going to the grocery store sucks. There are so many people to run into, carts crashing into each other, screaming children - the list goes on. Bottom line, it's a nightmare sometimes. You know what's also a nightmare? Running out of milk and toilet paper. As much as I hate going grocery shopping, it's a necessary errand that will leave you feeling accomplished. It's so important to take care of yourself physically to feel better mentally, and sometimes it's on a pretty basic level. So go out, get some groceries, and make yourself a nice meal to celebrate the little victories that mean so much!