How One Little Life Made Me a Better Person.

Somehow I got this beautiful gift and as soon as I got him he was taken away.

20
Gillian Pena

Going to ECU, everyone knows what the grid is. It is basically a grid lock of houses right next to campus that has student living houses. I live right along the grid as well as many of my friends. We have a bunch of cats in this area since it is near a river. We call them grid cats.

One night I was walking to a friends house from my house not even a quarter of a mile away. As we walked, we started to hear a small noise following us. When we finally turned around to see what it was, a tiny baby kitten was following us. We picked him up and took him in.

The more I looked at this tiny helpless creature the more my maternal instincts came out that honestly I never knew I had. That weekend of having him, I did not stop caring for him. I dropped kitten milk in his mouth every 2 hours, wrapped him up in blankets, and tried to make him drink water. Yet there was something slightly off about him. He just seemed not as playful as typical kittens and I knew he had to see a doctor. We found him on a Saturday night and no vet was open Saturday night or even Sunday.

So I called all around trying to see who can care for my kitten that had rubbed off on me so much I named him Charlie. I finally got to take him to the vet and they knew how sick he was. This team of Vets and I were rooting so hard for Charlie's life. I finally got home from the vet and put Charlie in a warm rice bag (kittens really like that) and a little shoebox and bed I got him. Finally content enough after getting some medicine and food for him, I go to the store to get some groceries. On my way home from the store my roommate texts me and says Charlie is not moving.

My heart drops and I drive like a bat flying out of hell home to run inside and find this little life I found SO much joy in lifeless and stiff.

I cannot emphasize how heartbreaking it is to see this life, this light in your life you didn't even know you needed, be gone. Why yes it makes me sad, but I learned a lot about cats along this journey.

I realize he was very sick and I did Absolutely everything in my power to make him live but ultimately nature took its course... But in my small stint with motherhood, I found myself more aware of my surroundings.

I noticed I was kinder since I had Charlie. I noticed ultimately I was so happy with him. I noticed my material instincts are now more present. His illness and constant care taught me responsibility. He ultimately made me a better person mentally and in my attitude.

My battle with my depression and anxiety wasn't even in my head when I had him. It was like a vacation from my own thoughts with this little guy; he completely consumed my thoughts.

He made me realize I need to love everyone like I loved him. Charlie Inspires me to put a little more love in the world.