What My Sign Would Have Said
Politics

What My Sign Would Have Said

I wasn't at the Women's March on Washington, but I was there in spirit.

3
What My Sign Would Have Said
6abc.com

As much as I wanted to go to the Women's March on Washington, the event just wasn't in my cards. I had a sorority rush event to run, and then on top of that, I had a five hour shift at Ulta later - I couldn't get out of either commitment. So I just sat back and listened to friends as they planned their 10 hour drive down to D.C. I listened as they excitedly talked about the speakers who would be present. I listened as they talked about why they were marching. I listened as they researched how to, in the event of, combat tear gas. And I listened as they scoured Pinterest for sign ideas. And as I listened, I day dreamed and thought about why I support the Women's March on Washington and if I was able to go what my sign would have said.

In simple black letters it would say "I believe in the triumph of womanhood."

Why?

Because as a feminist, I believe that a woman can do anything a man can. I believe that we aren't currently equal in many aspects, but we are actively striving to change that, prime example is the march. We are letting our voices be heard and slowly the world is hearing us and changing, not to accommodate us, but to catch up to us.

Because this was one of the first things I learned when I became a part of the proud sisterhood of Dorian, Kappa Beta Phi. These seven words are the first words of our creed that we recite every Sunday to kick off our business meetings. These are the words that have been my personal mantra for the two years I've been in this sorority and they will continue to guide me in life after I graduate and become an alum.

And because as a triumphant woman, I will not stand by and let friends and strangers alike be threatened because of who they are. The rhetoric in this past elections cycle has "threatened many of us - immigrants of all statuses, Muslims and those of diverse religious faiths, people who identify as LGBTQIA, Native people, Black and Brown people, people with disabilities, survivors of sexual assault - and our communities are hurting and scared."

So while I can't say I was able to march with the thousands of others, I was there in spirit, with the words "I believe in the triumph of womanhood" mentally on repeat all day long.