What It Means To Be Filipino

What It Means To Be Filipino

A reflection on Filipino culture and identity.

58929
What It Means To Be Filipino
Rubelyn Bumalo

What does it mean to be Filipino?

It means being a part of a family and supporting one another. You can see it whenever Filipinos are around. It doesn't matter if we are blood related or not-we are always there for one another. Recently, at a Filipino event, where I was surrounded by family and friends, I saw what it meant to be Filipino in a whole new light.

We always have each other's backs. We supported one another at the event, even when one of us messed up a game or forgot a dance move. We all just told each other that it was OK or to shake it off. We even did this to people we didn't even really know.

What else does it mean?

It means loving each other, despite flaws and oddities. We always love whoever comes our way. We spread positive vibes and smiles.

For us, we don't notice other people's flaws. We do not let them define who you are.

Being Filipino means being a part of a wonderful culture. A culture filled with amazing foods, beautiful languages and having a great homeland to go to. When I tell you the food is amazing, it is so good. Seriously, once you taste it, you will fall in love with it.

Our languages contain Tagalog, Ilocano, Cebuano, Kinaraya and so many much more. I do not speak any of the languages myself, but I would want to learn some of them. They just sound so beautiful once you hear one of them.

Our homeland, the Philippines, is just so gorgeous. You have to get a plane ticket and go one day. Wherever you go in the Philippines, there is always somewhere exciting to go to. There are lots of trails to walk and mountain views to see.

Being Filipino means we love company. Yeah, we don't really mind being alone, but we prefer to be with others most of the time. It does not mean we're like an overly attached girlfriend to society. It just simply means we like to go around and converse with others.

It also means that we love to question you about everything. These questions will range from asking you about having a girlfriend/boyfriend or how you're doing in school and even about your weight. Most of the time, we'll just ask you if you ate yet. Even if you say yes, we'll continue to pester you to eat some more. No matter how much you protest and say you're already full, we'll keep asking you if you want some more to eat.

Filipinos are ambitious and dedicated to anything we find interest in. If we find interest in volleyball or soccer, we aim to be the best at it. If we find interest in law, we try to find ways to get us to partake in it. Whatever it is, Filipinos will find a way to know a lot about what interests us.

Being Filipino means togetherness.

We will always be together with family and friends. Basically, anyone we consider a loved one, is apart of our family. We will never leave their side. No matter how hard the journey is, how long it is or how rough, we will always be there for someone. At every struggle, we always see a ray of hope shining through.

We rarely give up, but when we do, we give up with a smile on our face.

To me, this is what being Filipino means.