What I Learned From Disney Princess Movies

Years and years of watching Disney Princess movies actually taught me something. Take that Disney haters!

42

Ever since I was a young tot, I have grown up in a family that is crazy about Disney. We have always loved the movies, the music, going to the parks and by the time I turned 18 I knew everything there was to know about Disney. Something that has always sparked my interest in particular was the Princess movies. To this day, I still like to believe that I'm actually a princess in the midst of her big movie, which is also the reason I go around singing songs at random. Each princess movie has taught me something special, and it's because of these movies that I am who I am.

1. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" (1937)

In this movie, the Evil Queen is who taught me a major lesson and that lesson was in self-confidence. She was so insecure that Snow was "the fairest of them all" that she sent someone off to have her killed. There is a way to deal with your insecurities and putting others down is not the way to do it. This movie taught me that no matter how much you try and put others down to try and make yourself feel better, it will never work. Goodness will always prevail.

2. "Cinderella" (1950)

Cinderella taught me that you are to have courage and be kind in everything you do. Despite the horrible way her step-sisters and step-mother were treating her, Cinderella had grace and did all of her chores with as much dignity as she had left. It also gives me hope that whenever you feel at your lowest, don't give up hope. There may just be a fairy godmother on her way to build you back up again.

3. "Sleeping Beauty" (1959)

This movie taught me that if your man would not sword fight a dragon for you, then he is not the one. I'm only about two percent teasing on this one. Look at all that Prince Phillip did just so that he could be with Aurora; he got kidnapped, set free and then fought a huge fire-breathing dragon. The most boys do nowadays is like your Instagram photo. On the other hand it also taught me that sometimes you just need a really long nap and to stay away from thorns.

4. "The Little Mermaid" (1989)

"The Little Mermaid" taught me that true love takes sacrifice and sometimes a risk. While I do think that Ariel did excessively overreact by giving her beautiful voice to an evil sea witch, love does take sacrifice. If you wouldn't sacrifice something for someone you love then it isn't worth it in the end. Ariel taught me that if I truly love someone, the sacrifice will be worth it.

5. "Beauty and the Beast" (1991)

Belle taught me to truly value somebody's inner beauty and not focus on whats on the outside. She taught me how to be strong in the things I value and to not give into someone just because they are good looking. Although Gaston, the most wanted man in the whole town, had eyes for her she saw him for what he truly was underneath his beautiful exterior: a disgusting, sexist, low-life pig. She fell in love purely based on inner beauty and that is something I have always admired about Belle. She also taught me that it's a princess thing to love reading, which gave me all the hope in the world.

6. "Aladdin" (1992)

This movie taught me to not pretend to be anyone else other than myself. Jasmine fell in love with Aladdin because of who he was, not because he was a dazzling prince. In the end, all of the trouble was caused because Aladdin was so focused on trying to hide the fact that he wasn't a prince. If he was just honest with Jasmine, I'm sure they could have found some way to work out their love life. Be honest about who you are, if someone doesn't like it they aren't worth it anyway.

7. "Pocahontas" (1995)

Pocahontas taught me to truly enjoy and respect nature. The world out there is so beautiful and nowadays it is so common to just brush by it as if it doesn't matter. Nature is always there so we often forget to stop and admire it. Pocahontas taught me that I need to stop and take in nature as much as I can and to be kind to the animals out there. Appreciate nature and learn to paint with the colors of the wind.

8. "Mulan" (1998)

This movie taught me that I can do anything I want to do if it is important enough to me. Not only that but it taught me to stick to my goals even if others don't agree with them. Mulan's family believed that her prime purpose was to be the perfect wife and make a man happy. Mulan wanted more for herself and to prove that she was meant for more she literally went out and saved China. Mulan taught me that even if no one else believes in me, to go reach for my goals and if they are important enough, I'll get there some day. Also everybody needs a sassy sidekick.

9. "Princess and the Frog" (2009)

"Princess and the Frog" taught me one of my favorite lessons I have ever learned in a Disney movie. It taught me that you should work hard for your dreams. Dream of impossible things and then work hard to make them happen and sometimes, in the midst of all your hard work, a little bit of magic will come your way and give you a much needed push. Have some hope in wishing on stars but don't put so much faith in wishes that you don't work for it.

10. "Tangled" (2010)

Rapunzel taught me that my dreams are worth waiting for. She may not have appreciated those beautiful lanterns if she saw them up close as soon as she discovered them. She waited 18 years to see those lanterns and the way she admired them just proved that it was worth the wait. If you dream of something and that dream is big enough, waiting for that dream will be so worth it.

11. "Brave" (2012)

Merida taught me in this inspiring movie that you simply don't need a guy to be happy. Merida was so happy just doing her thing, shooting bow and arrows and riding her horse, but all that changed when her family tried to force her into marriage. This movie showed me that I can be happy and live my life to the fullest without a prince. When my prince comes, that will be great, but I am complete without one and for now I can stay married to myself.

12. "Frozen" (2013)

Last but not least, Anna and Elsa taught me the importance of friendship (even though they were sisters). Platonic love is just as important, if not more important, as romantic love, and this movie was a beautiful example of that. Friendships are so important and this movie taught me to have a soft heart and be completely loving and open towards my friends. The eternal winter was cured with the love of the two sisters and that love is what saved the day.