What I've Learned From Being A College Commuter

Words of wisdom from a college commuter.

40
Vasilina Orlova

As high school graduation was quickly approaching, I was faced with the decision of staying at my parent’s home and commuting to college or living in the dorms. There were lots of factors that I had to consider throughout the process. For instance, I had a good job at my local library that I wanted to keep and I didn’t want to be buried in debt by the time I graduated, so it seemed like commuting was the logical decision. I have now been commuting from a longer distance to BGSU for three years now, and I think it’s been a good choice overall. I’ve been able to work, commute, take classes, and have friends of all ages (college, high school, and work).

There have been pros and cons from taking the commuting route, but it’s been an interesting experience. I’ve grown wiser from my freshman year commute and I’ve been able to save money through the process. I don’t get to go to on-campus events as much and I don’t make as deep a connection as I’d like with my friends who live in BG, but I try to engage myself, nonetheless.

I have several words of advice for anyone considering college commuter lifestyle. First of all, always be prepared for bad weather. Always. Fog, snow, sleet, hail, tornado warnings, high wind speeds, ice, thunder storms, and haze can all impact your commute. Be sure to allow yourself some extra time on those days so that you can make it where you’re going safely. It’s best to leave early every day, anyway, because you never know when construction or accidents might happen.

Next, be sure you’re prepared for a variety of different life situations. Make sure you have an emergency kit in your car and any beauty or personal items. It might be a good idea to carry extra clothes and snacks in your vehicle because you never know when you’re going to spill something or your clothes rip. Also, keep an umbrella handy and take a blanket and a book or something to keep you busy during any down time. You might get to campus and find that one of your classes is canceled, so it’s nice to have something to preoccupy you during that time.

Finally, wear good walking shoes, because most of the time the commuter parking lots are farther away from your classes. You can also use this walking time to scout out any good resting places or areas to get something quick to eat. College campuses are widespread with inspiration.

Overall, I’ve enjoyed my college experience as a commuter, but I wish I could enjoy some of the common college activities more often. I’ve missed out on parties, informational panels, clubs, and the opportunity to live life on my own terms. These are things I wish I would’ve known when I was a freshman, but the experiences have been worth it to live a vibrant life.