What It's Like Not To Care About Football During Football Season

There is an entire season devoted to it. Share in my struggle, please.

181
YouTube

Well, we’ve reached that time of year again. The leaves are turning glorious shades of red and yellow, flannel is again the clothing material of choice, and seasonal drinks are being sold at almost any coffee shop. These are just a few of the things I love about fall.

But what doesn’t make the list for me is football. I don’t feel that brisk autumn air and immediately think of the nights in front of the TV that lie ahead. Although apple orchards and bonfires are more my thing, I do realize that so many people live for football season. For those of us who don’t necessarily dislike it, but just don’t really care, here are some of the struggles we face during football season:

1. Never-ending football conversations

How do you possibly have so much to discuss? The season just started.

2. Having nothing to contribute to said conversations

No, I don't know what player you're talking about or the result of any game that occurred this past week. I'll just sit here and watch.

3. Unnecessarily long football games

These games should maybe take two hours, tops. Why. Do. They. Last. So. Long.

4. Dealing with college game day

You want to go to a football game? Great! Just don't use it an excuse to start drinking and being obnoxious at 7 a.m.

5. Painting your skin is just too much

I honestly don't think I love anything enough to paint my skin for it. That is commitment.

6. Constantly wondering: Where do you store all of these facts?

Where are you keeping this knowledge? You know the number of sacks every player ever has had and the amount of times each team has gone offsides during every game ever. Why??

7. Not wanting to miss out on those football party snacks

If I don't want to actually watch the game or talk about the game, but I want to eat chips and dip and pizza, can I still come?

8. Seriously, what is fantasy football?

It's not so much that I don't get it anymore, I just don't understand the point.

9. Sunday plans now revolve around games

I don't care if there's a game on; come pick apples with me anyway.

10. Your dedication is admirable

Memorizing all of those facts and making time to watch or go to every football game is pretty impressive.

Although I don't think I will ever care much about football, I will always appreciate having football fans around to share snacks with and watch in awe and disbelief as they rattle off hundreds of facts I never knew were necessary to remember. You do you, football fans.