What It's Like After a Concussion

What It's Like After a Concussion

Not remembering is okay.

30
What It's Like After a Concussion

About 2 years ago I received my very first concussion. Considering I've ridden horses for a while one would think that I've had more than that right, well nope. I had worked with a school horse, Wishes, for a few months working towards the goal of the hunter schooling show that was in November. I had taken my horse in the ground poles class because he was still relatively green at the time and that's all he could do. We successfully completed our "course", I remember that I was afraid that he was going to spook at the same thing all of the others were spooking at, but he didn't! I go to get on Wishes and we made it through our first two courses I believe and I couldn't have been more proud of her and I.

This is the part where it starts to get a little foggy because I don't actually remember what happened I only know what was on the video that my mom was taking.

After our second round we made it to the jump off which is awesome! The way we came to the third or fourth fence wasn't the best decision of mine; I could have added more room and rode in better to the next fence but I didn't. That little mare jumped it for me anyway when she had the right to stop and tell me that it wasn't a good approach. She rocked back really hard and launched herself over the fence, and I didn't have a solid position over fences at the time and I lost balance and fell off and apparently hit my head off of the ground. The next thing I remember I was waking up in my apartment still in my show clothes with a massive headache.

According to my mom and my roommate at the time, I went to the hospital, got diagnosed with a concussion. I know I got sick outside the hospital and at least once when I got to my apartment. I repeatedly said "she jumps like a platypus" I feel bad now anytime I say it. I know I was worried about who was taking care of her and where my spurs were (they were soft touch spurs.) My roommate was super nice the entire time I was off from my concussion to help take care of my horse and to help me around the apartment because all I wanted to do was sleep.

I proceeded to work with this mare to get to the Hunter Derby that was in the spring. I was a little scared to jump her again because of what had happened at the last show. But we went to derby and we were doing pretty well but I went off course. Jump six and jump nine were beside each other, I took jump nine instead of jump six...whoops... She was a rock star though.

After my concussion I was angry with myself because I took a bad distance and gave Wishes a bad experience. She's a timid mare anyway and that didn't help anyway; it didn't seem to affect her to much as she was still willing to go over anything. I am still mad at myself because I don't remember much about that day except from what I have seen from the video my mom took and what others have told me.

If you have had a concussion and can't remember things from that event my advice to you is to not be mad at yourself. You may remember at some point down the road and if you're like me you may never remember. That's okay. Sometimes it's better not to remember and just move on with it and work to make the next ride, the next game, etc., better. Each concussion is different some people may have a mild concussion and be able to go back to activities the next day others may have a severe concussion and be out of activities for a couple of weeks. Whichever you have or had it will get better. Your coach, your friends, and your parents are there to help you overcome whatever may scare you about coming back after your concussion.