What It Was Like Growing Up With Braces

What It Was Like Growing Up With Braces

The many experiences you regretfully had to face while wearing braces

58
What It Was Like Growing Up With Braces
aaoinfo

If you had to face growing up as a child with a mouthful of metal, you likely experienced all the horrors that came along with the infamous braces you dreaded having to get. Along with the monthly visits to the orthodontist, came the experiences we all wish we could had lived without. A few of which include:

1. Giving up, quite literally, all of the best foods you had grown up on.

No more pizza, gum, popcorn, basically anything you enjoyed eating was to be forgotten for the remainder of the time you had to wear braces.

2. Every few weeks or so came the most painful experience of your life: tightening your expanders.

It was always the moment you dreaded out of sheer pain and fear, as you felt your jaw being tightened with the swift turn of a key at the hand of your mother or father whom you had always trusted.

3. For the first month or so you faced the burdensome problem of not being able to enunciate anything.

You heard a lot of "what was that?" or "come again?" because the contraption in your mouth made every word you said sound different.

4. When first being placed on your teeth, you were given the option of a variety of different colors to stylize your mouth.

The orthodontist asked something along the lines of "what colors do you like?" and you would forever be stuck with vibrant colors in your mouth you really didn't care for.

5. Despite all the pain and horror you may have experienced with having braces, in the long run, they resulted in a smile of a lifetime.