What It Really Means To Be A Big Sister

What It Really Means To Be A Big Sister

A reflection on how having younger sisters has made me the person I am today.

5745
What It Really Means To Be A Big Sister
Brianna Watson

I am the oldest of three girls and it's always been a little difficult. I'm a role model to my little sisters and I have to be a good influence while also finding my way, by myself and that has never been easy. All I've ever wanted is to have an older sister or brother so I could have someone to look up to and learn from. I've always wished that I had someone to braid my hair and help me when my parents are mad at me. I've wanted older siblings to be by my side when I started high school and college. I wished I had a partner in crime to prepare me for my first date or for the first party I went to. I always thought it would be amazing to have a big sister that I could have slumber parties with and go to for boy advice. I've wished for an older brother so he could beat up any guy who thought it would be cute to mess with me and who I could wrestle with all the time. I know having older siblings was not in the cards for me and even though being the oldest is hard, it's not a bad thing. Despite it's up and downs, being a big sister is something that I would not trade for the world.

Being a big sister means always having someone to hang out with.

Being a big sister has taught me that one minute I can want to strangle someone and the next we can be dying of laughter like nothing happened.

Being a big sister means having your patience tested every single day (literally).

Being a big sister means watching your money vanish because we just HAVE to stop at Starbucks every single time we leave the house, right? (RIP to my bank account)

Being a big sister means worrying all the time.

But little sisters worry too. Any time something's wrong, my sisters freak out. I can't tell you how many people they won't say hi to anymore because they know they did something that hurt me.

Being a big sister means praying that they never make the same mistakes you made and hoping they never let a boy hurt them the way you've let boys hurt you.

Being a big sister means being prepared to hunt down any jerk who thinks it's OK to mess with them.

Being a big sister means keeping a close eye on who they surround themselves with because you know too well that not everyone can be trusted.

Being a big sister means caring and loving them more than yourself. You will do absolutely anything to keep them happy and healthy. You will give your life for theirs.

Being a big sister means placing their needs above your own.

Being big sister means watching your siblings grow up and the day you realize they aren't little girls anymore, you are absolutely terrified.

Being a big sister means playing mom A LOT. Need dinner? Want me to pick you up?Homework help? Shopping? Need to borrow an outfit? OK, don't worry, I got it.

Being a big sister means being overly protective at all times because the world is a scary place.

Being a big sister means being a teacher and sometimes that's hard. It's not always easy to set a good example when you're still learning yourself.

Being a big sister means trying your hardest to be perfect because you never want them to be disappointed when they see your flaws.

Being a big sister means putting on a brave face in difficult situations because you don't want them to see you upset and think that you aren't as strong as you pretend to be.

Little sisters love to copy everything you do from the way you dress, the way you talk and act, what foods you like, how you cut your hair -- you name it, they do it, and it is so annoying but you secretly love it because they do it so they can be more like you.

When you have someone who admires you, all of a sudden the decisions you make, you make because you want to make them proud. My sister Callie is the reason why I push myself so hard because I know she wants me to go after everything I want in life and never settle. She always reminds me I can do better, so I do. It's frustrating some days, but I'm thankful that she expects a lot out of me because it motivates me to succeed.

Being a big sister is hands-down the best thing to ever happen to me. When I started college last fall, I don’t think I really realized how much my siblings and I would miss each other and how much stronger our relationships would become. My sisters are my best friends, my true ride or dies, and my go-to's, because at the end of the day, no one has my back like they do.