What It Means To Travel

What It Means To Travel

It is more than just a trip.

55
What It Means To Travel
Veronica Fitton

Travel (trav·el) verb: to go on a trip or journey : to go to a place and especially one that is far away

Often times we lose sight of ourselves, our perspective, where we are going or where we have been, and that's OK. We can feel trapped in a monotonous routine that we bluster through daily. Then all the sudden the word travel sparks a small twinkle in our eye. We imagine all of the places we could go or could see or should be. What I'm telling you is, stop imagining and start doing. Get out there and see the world, because it might just change the fundamental values of who you are. I know, I know, that sounds mildly terrifying but who said all great things have to comfortable

Traveling means:

Being outside of your comfort zone

This isn't always necessarily a negative concept. Being outside of your comfort zone gives you room to grow and explore. This could mean eating foods you thought you would never touch and climbing mountains to their peak.

Gallivanting through a city

It's OK to get lost every once in a while. Explore the place you are in and find hidden gems among the crowded streets.

Discovering and respecting a new culture

This all starts with having an open mind. Your way is not the only way that the world functions. Try to learn the language and customs of where you are going. Respect their beliefs and all that their culture centers around.

Embracing the bumps along the way

Exploring a new place is never as smooth as we would like it to be. Embrace the bumps you run into along your journey because trust me, there will be some.

Meeting lifelong friends along the way

Say hello to everyone you run into. The man who owns the coffee shop up the street or the kids playing soccer on dirt roads. Greet other travelers and make friends.

Remember that traveling is not just a bus, train or plane ticket, it is an adventure to a new place that is just waiting for you to arrive. Remember to embrace your journey and all of the messes it may bring. You are right where you are supposed to be.