What It Means To Take Heart In Today's Society

Living in a fallen world.

2859
instagram- @jonboytattoo

A few weeks ago, I was scrolling through Pinterest in search of a tattoo that maybe, just maybe my parents would approve of. (That will actually never happen.) I wanted something small, something meaningful, something that would be a constant reminder to myself.

I came across one tattoo in the inner part of the arm that read "Take Heart" and that was all it said. I was captivated by the calligraphic writing and perfect placement, but the I began to wonder.. what does it mean to take heart? Why is this phrase important enough to someone for them to get it tattooed on their body?

So being the nerd I am, I began my research. The Cambridge dictionary defines this phrase "take heart" as "to feel encouraged." And at first I thought "oh ok I guess that's cute." But then as I continued.. I discovered that it has a meaning much greater!

If you're like me, you're experiencing something in your life that makes you feel discouraged, worthless, tired, broken, or weary. (As a college student who works and goes to school full-time, sometimes I feel all of the above within the course of 24 hours. Am I right?) These feelings are exactly what it means to lose heart.

No one ever said that this life would be easy, in fact, we were told that it wouldn't be. How we choose to overcome the trials and tribulations put before us, is completely up to us.

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” -- John 16:33

If He is telling us to take heart, somewhere along the way.. we must have lost it.

You and I will experience loss, heartache, and multitude of other hardships throughout the course of our life. That's just part of living in a fallen world.

Let this be a reminder to myself and everyone around me, the hard days are temporary but Jesus is forever. Let this be a reminder to love yourself, the way that Christ loves you.

Self-love and self-confidence is something that I have always struggled with. I have often placed my self-importance on the attention I have gotten from others. (Mostly acceptance from slimy boys who should have been the least of my worries!) Confidence was far from my best-quality.

I have never considered myself perfect, I'm actually far from it. But things are happening in my life that are undeniably amazing, and I'm sure if you look around.. amazing things are happening in yours too.

So take heart on the bad days, and remember that the pain you are feeling now is not your destiny. Take heart on the good days, and remain humble for all of the awesome things you're doing in your own life and maybe even in other's.

"So take heart, sisters. I believe it's true that He lives in you! All these little deaths we die are avenues straight into His arms." - Amber C. Haines