What It Is Like To Help With Orientation

It is the best reason to cut your summer short!

2
Author's Photo

Helping with the freshman class orientation has to be one of the most rewarding experiences ever. Yes, you had to cut summer short to come back early for training, but it was most certainly worth it. You get to help the new students adjust to something that is brand new to them. Helping with orientation allows you to pass on what you have learned about what it is like to be on the campus and how things work. You tell them that you were once in their shoes and it is okay to miss home and feel like you do not belong. Everyone has felt that way one way or another. You are leaving everything you know, your friends, and your family to come to somewhere all new to you. That can scare anyone. It scared me when I first came here.

I would not have traded the past week for the world. I made so many new friends and connections. You never know how those connections will help you later in life. Become friends with everyone you can, never be afraid. You are not going to enjoy college if you do not have friends. You simply cannot just stay in your room all the time and do work. You need to get out there and get involved.

If you had the opportunity to help with orientation weekend at your school do it! You get to make their first weekend enjoyable and show them that it is okay that they are away from home and that there are people that care about them. You are not just there for them because have to be, it is because you want to be and that is the most important thing. Imagine just being thrown into it and not knowing anything. Would that be fun? No it would not. Make the weekend memorable and even after orientation do not walk away from them. Always be there when they need a friend, because after all you were one of their first friends on campus and those are the ones that they will treasure while they are still finding their niche within the school.

This paragraph is dedicated to the Peer Mentors at Lebanon Valley College. Thank you. Thank you for being the best group of people ever. Thank you for making my first year as a PM the best. Thank you for welcoming the new PMs with open arms. Thank you for being my second family. Thank you for being the most entertaining people to be around. I love all of you and I cannot wait to see what other adventures we embark this year!