What Happens When You Get Homesick At School

The strange phenomenon of missing your loved ones so late.

101

This semester has been the weirdest, most stressful one yet. But the strange thing is, I'm starting to feel myself return to my most primal state, where I'm on a class trip, embarrassing myself because I'm crying in the cafeteria, missing my mommy and daddy.

In other words, I'm missing home a lot, and I'm freaked out by it.

To explain, I'm a Los Angeles girl, who is currently going to a school in Oklahoma. I'm still trying to figure out exactly why an extreme liberal would go to the Bible belt. But, I've been lucky enough to find friends who do understand my views, and who have become like my family.

In all honesty, I was actually happy to first move out here, not because of the location (which I admit,I am still having a hard time adjusting to), but because I wanted to get away from Los Angeles. I was aching for independence, and when I had to choose between a school right by my house, or here, I took here. Even in my distressed state, I would still choose going away, because I've learned a lot about myself and have grown a lot since I've been on my own.

So, it's weird to me that I'm getting homesick, mainly because in my first semester, I was actually pretty okay. I did miss my family a few times, but other than that, I was happy to be on my own. I still am.

Yet, I think I started experiencing withdrawal when I was doing my second show here. It was a piece that I absolutely loved doing, and I felt I was doing some of my best work in it. However, it's kind of hard for your parents to come see you when they're so many states away. They were awesome, and even said they could fly down and see it. However, I told them that it was okay, that there would be other shows to see besides this one. Even with that thought, there's nothing worse than when you have something you're so proud of, but you can't even show it to the ones you care about. It even hit me worse when we were told that we could reserve four tickets for outside of school guests. I was reminded that I had no one to save seats for.

I feel like this feeling has just kept piling throughout the semester because of the stress of school, and the realization that I haven't seen any of my family or friends since the holidays. I felt so envious of my friends who could simply get in their cars and drive a city or state away. It came to the worst this week because of two specific events.

First, I was interviewing for a summer job, and I found out that the job might only let me see my family for just two days. That meant only two days to catch up, without any time to even see my friends. Second, one of my best friend's back home was going through a lot of stuff with a family member, and although I could text her, I hated how I couldn't physically be there to comfort her.

So, to put it lightly, I feel like I'm missing out on so much. I'm starting to question what other great events I'm going to not see, and what my life here will keep me from missing back home.

In a way, telling this seems like a pity party. But I'm overall telling it because I know that there are others out there who feel like I do. Maybe if I tell one story, I can tell millions of others. Maybe I can give advice to others, and hopefully I can also follow it. Maybe someone will look at this, and relate. Maybe if I tell people that it's okay to feel the way they're feeling, I'll begin to understand it as well.