It Has Got To Be Rough To Be A Miami Sports Fan Right Now

Wait, what happened?

243
@haley.delano

\Professional sports is a great way for cities across the world to come together as one to be represented in their favorite sports. The city of Miami is represented by four professional sports teams: The Dolphins, The Heat, The Marlins, and The Panthers. These teams were focal points in the community's exposure and growth in recent years, but now these teams are having lackluster seasons, thanks to a compilation of deals, departures, and disappointments.

Miami at one point was a strong sports city, but now a total wipeout of franchise players and incompetent front offices are responsible for these disappointing times in South Beach.

The Miami Dolphins

Probably since the days of Dan Marino and Don Shula has the Dolphins ever been relevant. With mediocre draft picks in recent years and not having a true playmaker, the Miami Dolphins find themselves in a familiar place. A 6-8 record hoping for several teams to lose so they can make the playoffs. Earlier this year the team traded arguably their best player, Jay Ajayi, to the best team in football, the Philidelphia Eagles. Ever since that trade, the Dolphins have gone 2-5 and have relied on the not so coveted, and sort of questionable, arm of Jay Cutler. With two games left against Kansas City and Buffalo, Dolphin fans are eager for the return of QB Ryan Tannehill and the development of RB Kenyan Drake.

But for now, we watch in admiration of the lungs of Smokin' Jay Cutler and pray that there isn't another video of a coach doing drugs in his office all in the name of a stripper from Vegas.

The Miami Heat

I remember the Ray Allen shot like it was yesterday. Miami was back in the sports spotlight when the "Big 3" were in town. With future Hall of Famers: LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh, The Miami Heat were destroying the NBA landscape and winning back-to-back titles in the process. But after losing to the San Antonio Spurs in 2013-14 NBA finals, the was dismantled. With LeBron and Dwayne leaving to playing in their hometowns, and Chris Bosh having his career cut short for medical reasons, The Miami Heat is a shell of what it used to be.

The current roster consists of average players whose best players(barely) are Hassan Whiteside and Dion Waiters. Erik Spoelstra is still a legitimate head coach in the NBA, but the core that surrounds him is a total coin flip when it comes to potential. The Heat is 16-15 so far, and are currently ranked 9th in conference standings. With the benefit of being in the weak Eastern Conference, the Miami Heat still can do some damage.

But for now, we watch the Cleveland Cavaliers in envy.

The Florida Panthers

Yes, the state of Florida has a sport that involves skating on ice. Two to be exact, one is ranked number 1 in the NHL, destroying everyone in sight. And the other team is, of course, the Florida Panthers. The Panthers is a fairly young franchise, but that doesn't excuse them from their horrid playoff history. Over the past five years, the Panthers have made the playoffs once during the 2015-16 season. Arguably the best season ever, the Panthers finished with a record of 47-26 but will eventually lose to the New York Islanders 2-4 in the playoffs. With a revamped front office and young players, the Panthers will someday be the best team in Florida.

But for now, we sit and wonder why Miami has a hockey team.

The Miami Marlins

Probably the most disappointing of all the Miami sports, the Miami Marlins have been in the news for all the wrong reasons. The Marlins have decided to once again try to go in a new direction. The problem is that the team has been doing that for over a decade. With a new CEO in former Yankees legendary SS Derek Jeter, fans aren't really proud of what is happening to their team. Trading away key players Dee Gordon, to the Seattle Mariners, and Marcell Ozuna to the St.Louis Cardinals. But the biggest departure of all is the trade involving the recently crowned MVP, Giancarlo Stanton. Not only did they trade the MVP, but they traded him to one of the best team in the sport, Jeter's former team, The New York Yankees.

The Miami Marlins have recently slashed payroll to $85 Million which at one point was at $111 Million. Finance isn't their strong suit, strongly being ridiculed for building a new stadium off taxpayers worth over $634 Million. Jeter and his team, which consist of 16 investors, bought the Marlins for $1.2 Billion with Jeter contributing $25 Million himself. With fans still unclear about what's in store for the team, the front office is working in secrecy and reluctance with its fans.

The front office keeps failing the prove that they know what they're doing and it's a look that is not in their favor.

But for now, we mark our calendars for the game against the Yankees.

The Brightside

Thank God for college sports. The University of Miami Hurricanes has made an unanticipated come back to the national spotlight, all thanks to Head Coach Mark Richt and the famous Turnover Chain.

Miami Hurricanes can have their football team back to championship level very soon, and the more championships, the more we get to see the national treasure that is the Turnover Chain. The Hurricanes has proven to be a threat and to be taken seriously, but with recent losses to Pitt and reigning National Champion Clemson, the Hurricanes have a final test against the Wisconsin Badgers in the Orange Bowl. With the Orange Bowl being in Miami, it is sure to be a party down in South Beach.

But for now, it's all about the U.