What Friendship Means To Me

What Friendship Means To Me

we all need someone to call crying at 3 in the morning

542
What Friendship Means To Me
Huffpost

Writing sappy things is my forte, which is why, reader, I'm writing about friendship. You might be thinking, "Gosh she is going to mention her sorority sisters and soulmates yet again" and yes that is what I'm exactly going to do.

Friendship is a relationship where there is a mutual affection between people. Sometimes these bonds are stronger than actual family bonds. For some people, it might be the only thing they have in their life. Others don't even know what friendship is.

My life has been a freaking crazy and loopy rollercoaster! I grew up with people who I believed were my friends but our so called "friendship" was fake. They bullied me on a constant basis and I didn't realize it. The hardest time of my life was from the start of fifth grade to the middle of eight grade. My parents got divorced, my Zia Rose (Aunt Rose) passed away before she could see me graduate, and the bullying I was enduring got excessively worse. I entered a dark place and almost took my life because of it. Unlike some people who have been in a similar situation, there was something that got me out of that dark place. A sense of hope; a new beginning, which was high school.

Here comes the sappy part...

I met a group of girls (Christine, Brianna, Stephanie, Daniella, and Lauren) during my sophomore year. Christine and I bonded over the fact that we loved One Direction (we still do)! I met the other girls through Christine and the rest is literally history. My life changed once I started to get to know these beautiful women. They are my soulmates. They know me better than anyone else. They support me in all my endeavors and always have my back no matter the situation. They'll even call me out on my sh*t. I didn't know what to do when senior year came along. I knew that I wanted to go away to college and I felt like I wasn't ready to not see them as much as I was used to. Being away at college while they are at home is difficult but I feel as though our friendship has become so much stronger. I remember playing sad graduation songs before us graduating, thinking I was going to be absolutely miserable while I was away but to be honest, I am having the best time of my life! We are there for each other whenever anything happens even though I am 173 miles away.

Freshman year was rough. The first year being away from home is always difficult. I have gotten used to being away now. I don't get too homesick. A part of me wishes I stayed home but another part of me doesn't. I found that making friends at college wasn't easy. I felt like I didn't belong here until last spring.

Here comes yet another sappy part...

I don't think I have expressed it enough so I'm going to say it one more time. Theta Phi Alpha has COMPLETELY changed my LIFE. I have gained over 30 best friends this year. I have joined a Greek community that has been supportive and welcoming. I have given back to people who haven't been able to feel this much joy and happiness. It may seem like I'm not happy because I'm so STRESSED but trust me, I'm HAPPY! These girls make all the stress of school work bearable. I always have someone to eat all meals with (cue the sorority snaps)! They are basically on-call 24/7 if I need anything. They are supportive and caring. They teach me so many new things and bring out the best me. I'm apart of something bigger than myself. I'm apart of a sisterhood built on Justice, Wisdom, Loyalty, Faith, Truth, and Honor. I love each one of my sisters to pieces! They are my home away from home (cue the tears). We are a sisterhood of food lovers and cry babies too!

The whole reason why I'm writing this is not for attention. I'm not looking for pity on my past. It's not for people to think I'm kissing up to anyone. I want at least one person to read this article and know that friendship is such an important component of one's life. Friendship is powerful. It brings joy into your life. So for my fellow shy people, get out there and say hi to someone who is sitting alone. Take a chance in getting to know someone new! You never know, they might be your soulmate <3