What Does Society Do To Self Image?

What Does Society Do To Self Image?

Sometimes things are not as they seem.

4
What Does Society Do To Self Image?
Jessica Graham

Do you ever wonder why things become “popular” such as clothing, cars and actions? Why you see some people acting one way versus another? The actions of those judging the people who are different? Why you see little girls complaining they aren’t pretty enough, not small enough, not tall enough? Why you see guys working out at the gym too hard to try to fit in or trying to be the toughest? These are only some of the things that media makes us believe is true.

What is considered media, you may ask? Webster’s Dictionary defines this as “the system and organizations of communication through which information is spread to a large number of people”1. This can include, but isn’t limited to, social media, television, magazines, movies and other internet sources. There are many characteristics within society that tell people they have to be a certain way. Everything we see and hear influences our decisions and our self-perception. These influences tell us what to wear, what to eat, what makeup to use, and what music to listen to. If you look back at how things were when you were a kid, it is easy to see that things are very different in the generation(s) that have followed.

Lately, we’ve been seeing reports in the news—how bullying has taken another life. When we look deeper into this, what are these victims being bullied on? Many are being insulted based on looks, mentality, social group, sexuality and more. Society and the media have this utopic belief on how one should act and look. Within the last few years, the rate of eating disorders in girls younger than high school age has increased significantly. You see that males are being bullied more often because they are paying attention to their studies or come out as gay. So why is it that society can’t accept who these people are?

Females look at the pictures in the magazines and on the television and say that they wish they looked like those girls. You know what I mean. The size one Victoria Secret models or the busty blonde that everyone goes after. It makes people think they have to look like that to succeed and to increase popularity. Maybe that’s why we see 14-year-old girls refusing meals and wearing inappropriate clothing and makeup for their age. All for what, to be popular?

Males are told they have to be muscular and tall to be considered attractive. In movies, it's rarely the nice guy who gets the girl—it’s always the guy who is the most attractive. This makes a male not see who they are. It lowers their confidence in being able to succeed. These are what people focus on now, physical attributes? What ever happened to focusing on personality?

Everyone is unique. No one goes through life or has the same exact experiences as another person. There is nothing wrong with looking different, not wearing what’s "in" or acting a different way. Everyone expresses themselves differently. Being yourself is what makes you stand out from the crowd. It can be the most attractive part about you. Be who you want to be, not who you are told to be. Think of this the next time you make a judgment about someone you don’t know. You are unique. You are important. You are popular.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", so why do we try to blind them. Many females say they won’t let a man tell them what to do or who to be, so why are you letting the media tell you exactly that.

1."Media." Merriam-Webster.com. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2016.