My Newfound Acceptance Of What Being A Leader Means

Being a leader means more than being president of an organization.

14

I’ve never thought of myself as a natural-born leader, so I’ve struggled with coming to terms with new ideas about leadership that I learned about in my classes abroad this past summer. One of the main reasons I chose the program, LeadAbroad, was that they advertised “leadership classes,” which I believed I had something to learn from.

In these classes we focused on our individual strengths. My strengths were not what I perceived to be strengths of typical leaders. My top five strengths according to StrengthsQuest are empathy, positivity, developer, individualization, and harmony. The descriptions of these traits by StrengthsQuest uncannily fit me.

I highly encourage you to take a strengths test because they instill a sense of self-awareness and self-appreciation, which are key qualities when pursuing any leadership opportunity. One of the most interesting things I learned abroad came from Donald Clifton and James Harter's study, "Investing in Strengths." It said, “Individuals gain more when they build on their talents than when they make a comparable effort to improve their areas of weakness.” I realize this might be hard to believe for some people, but there is evidence to back it up.

Realistically, not everyone will have the opportunity I had to learn more about the various shapes leadership can take, but I want to express what being a leader means to me.

When I talk about leadership, I’m not necessarily talking about positional leadership. I had to realize my value as a leader in my daily life before I could see my potential and value as a leader of an organization. I realize that some people have the opposite situation: They see their potential as the leader of an organization, but not necessarily their leadership potential as an individual. Reflecting and focusing on values and your legacy are ways to combat this lack of self-awareness. Ask yourself, What qualities do I embody most, and how can I live up to my standards for myself? Your answer to this question will help guide you to which leadership style fits you best.

Most importantly, do not be discouraged if you do not fit the cookie-cutter version of a leader that society has ingrained in our minds. It’s important to accept that there are many types of leaders and that each of them has a real-life application.

There is obvious value in leadership positions, but I believe everyone has the capacity to be a leader in their day-to-day life. Even if you’re an introvert, you can lead by example. Often, this is a very effective form of leadership and one that requires a great deal of integrity and both attention to and respect for personal values.

Leaders must understand that everyone is different, not superior or inferior. Leaders recognize that there is something to be learned from every person and situation, and that although everyone has weaknesses, everyone also possesses positive attributes. Being able to identify these strengths is key to establishing yourself as a leader.

My parents instilled in me from a young age the value of accepting responsibility. This has proved to be one of the most important qualities I have.

More and more, collaboration is key to leadership. Organizations, businesses, and even friend groups aren’t looking for a single powerful leader. They are seeking individuals with the ability to work productively with others.

During my study abroad trip’s service week in an impoverished township in South Africa, I had applied for and been appointed as a service leader because of my love for service and working with others. I was not sure exactly what this role would entail, but when I got there, I learned that I would be in charge of activity stations for my peers and young students in the township. I would explain the activity and make it as fun as possible to keep the kids engaged.

I was discouraged on one occasion when I felt that I did not have the demanding presence necessary to get the many kids at my station to play soccer in an organized way. I felt like I was failing at a role that I had willingly applied for and been accepted for. Two staff members noticed my disappointment and assisted me in being the demanding presence that I lacked, and I helped run another station. This incident prompted the question: what kind of leader am I if I’m not able to command attention and motivate people to want to listen to me?

An article by Bill George, "The Journey to Authenticity," which was featured in our trip textbook, stood out to me above many others when I re-read it after I returned home. In it George writes, “Any prospective leader who buys into the necessity of attempting to emulate all the characteristics of a leader is doomed to fail." This is the trap I had found myself falling into. I had to realize that while I was not necessarily the type of leader that feels comfortable telling others what to do, I am stillan enthusiastic and effective leader.

George continues on to say that "The one essential quality you must have to lead is to be your own person.” This reinforces the importance of strength tests. Learning your unique combination of positive traits prepares you to embrace leadership roles in your everyday life, as well as in positional leadership roles.

Everyone has the ability to be a leader in various capacities. Show your leadership ability by encouraging others to lead, recognizing their special qualities and cultivating their leadership skills as you also develop your own.

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader.” – John Quincy Adams