We're Distracted

We're Distracted

...by all kinds of pointless filler media news instead of focusing on the real issues at hand and abroad.

16
We're Distracted
Hollywood Life

We're missing the big picture here.

America is a first-world country, meaning we don't have to search for our food daily or worry if our water supply is contaminated by harmful microorganisms or chemicals. Most of us are middle-class, come home to our families every day to eat a home-cooked meal for dinner and send our children off to school the next morning. We are privileged.

We work for hours on end each week for many reasons. The main one being we value money a little too much. Why do you think we have so many names for it? -- money, buck, cash, greenback, etc. When we're not thinking about money, where do we turn? Our free time consists of scrolling through our long feed on Faceback, filled to the brim with useless information. We change the channel to E News or to The Bachelor or to Keeping Up With The Kardashians. And when we do switch to the news channels, they're either providing us with tainted facts or leaving important news out all together.

Back when the world was Eurocentric, cartographers in Europe literally placed Europe in the center of all maps because of their superiority mindset. How is America any different today? The world does not center around us. Here we are becoming offended by anything and everything when there are people all around the world fearing for their safety: acid burn disfigurement in the middle east, genital mutilation in rural Africa, animal abuse all over the world. And the list goes on and on and on. Be offended by that.

Where is the news about the north African oppression? Back in 2011, the Arab Spring was highlighted in the news but what about now? The problem and its aftermath have not ceased. People are trying to flee out of these dangerous areas and venture to places like Sicily, where 10,000 refugees are brought to each week. These people were rescued from boats in the Mediterranean. Sometimes the boat sinks halfway through its journey and the people are left to drown. For those who actually make it to safety, they are left to rot in refugee sanctuaries, waiting for a piece of paper to arrive. Where is that in the news?

Why should we even care when a Hollywood couple breaks up? Why should we care what the women wore on the Red Carpet? And how can shows like the Bachelor still have air-time? We don't even know these people personally, and we're practically obsessed with their lives. What about our lives? The lives of the oppressed? The sick? The famished? Since these people in Hollywood have such powerful voices, why aren't we pushing them to speak about meaningful topics? Yes, there are some who are advocates, but certainly not the whole.

Instead of glorifying the over-sexualized fashion industry or spending countless dollars on our own vanity, stop being so selfish. Gain some modesty and humility. But the most essential is to secure some gratitude. If you always find yourself asking, "What can I do to help? I'm not famous to actually make a difference." Stop flattering yourself. That's still a selfish attitude. Of course you can do something. Maybe not by donating hundreds of thousands to the Environmental Protection Agency or to the Boys and Girls Club. But can you show kindness to animals at your local shelter? Can you stand up to a bully for a friend? Can you fight for what you believe in even when everyone else around you chooses to be passive? Yes, yes and yes.

Just because something halfway around the world is happening doesn't mean it isn't affecting you. Whatever causes detriment to a fellow human's psyche, health and way of life, its waves are felt by us all. Don't choose to be ignorant. Choose wisdom. Choose knowledge. Choose to inform yourself. Be grateful for everything you have because I guarantee you that there is someone out there who would give anything to have your bad days.

Demand for better. From your fellow peers, from the media, from our leaders and from ourselves.