Welcome to the real world

Welcome to the real world

Tips from a first time intern

4
Welcome to the real world

"Adult job." I still can't tell you what that means or if it's just some made up phrase college students tell themselves when they realize their future is literally in the reach of their grasp. Whatever it is, it's scary as hell. Sometimes I wish I could go back to the odd and end jobs I had during high school. But by no means am I discrediting my job as a waitress. Believe me when I say I've learned a lot through being a waitress and the skills of smiling through the pain and biting your tongue will certainly not be put to waste. But back then things were a little easier, it was a more casual laid back environment, so going into a job in a more formal workplace scared the living daylights out of me this summer. I think that first day I was so nervous I didn't want to eat lunch because I was afraid my boss would walk in when I had a wad of peanut butter in my mouth. But as the hours and days went on, things fell into place and I felt like I was finally starting to belong. When it came time to say goodbye, it was harder than I could have ever imagined- it was at that moment I realized how much I had grown and learned from this experience, even if it was only eight weeks or so.

It can't (and shouldn't be) all work

People skills matter, too. When placed in an environment with different personalities, work ethics are bound to overlap and differ . For some, working constantly as a group and spending the day in a loud, busy environment is great. But for me, and probably others out there, it's work then play and the idea of chit-chat can get you distracted or thrown out of rhythm. I'm not saying either is wrong because I'm a firm believer in to each his own, but if there's one thing I've learned is that you have to find the happy medium between the two. Out of pure habit I would throw in some headphones and jam out to some music while feverishly hunched over my computer writing.

You need to realize that hard work is not the only thing that matters in a job. Sure your boss will appreciate it, but all it really does is prove your hard-worker. Make that hard-work worth your while by making connections and getting to know people because at the end of the day, the people are what determines what you get out of the experience. You never know if later on down the road that connection will get you hired or even qualify you for a position. It's all about who you know in life. Plus, who wants to work in silence for 5 days a week?"

Don't fall victim to work stereotypes

"I hate my boss". It's likely you've heard this statement numerous times this year, whether it's from the girl standing next to you on the bus complaining to her boyfriend over the phone or on your favorite tv show. While it's always around us, you should never come into a new job with that mindset, especially if it's your first real job. It's easy to work yourself up and become anxious and overwhelmed about having a tyrant boss when in reality, that statement is probably nothing more than facade for someone who hates their job or an inaccurate exaggeration.

I probably had one of the most amazing bosses I could have ever hoped for in a first job and I honestly don't feel left-out when friends complain about their bosses; I'll feel "excluded" any day if I could find another boss like him. Give respect and you'll get it.

Second, just because your position might be an intern, you're worth more than you think. People say interns are only really good for coffee, organizing, and doing the grunt work the regular 9-5 employees don't want to do or think they're exempt from due to their pay-grade. However the reality is you'll actually be given work and they'll expect you to live up to similar standards they hold their other employees.

And if you are stuck in the typical intern rut you don't have to stand for it. Ask your boss or other employees what you can do to help. By taking the initiative you'll gain people's respect and they'll start to value your work-ethic. You get out of an internship, or any job for that matter, what you put into it, so make it worth your while. Sometimes you have to suck it up.

At the end of the day, if you ask the right questions in the interview and really take in the vibe of someone's office, you can generally get to know what a company is really about. You'll know right away if it's the right fit.

Don't make excuses

This isn't high school anymore, saying "this is too hard because ___" or "Well this came up so I couldn't finish on time" doesn't cut it anymore. Chances are if you think you're busy, there's probably a million and one more people who could make your work load seem like child's play. If you know you're gonna need extra time, ask in advance and prove to your boss you can solve issues on your own and that you don't face defeat easily. Making excuses diminishes your work credibility and honestly doesn't get you anywhere. And at the end of the day, sympathy from your boss isn't cute.

Commuting isn't for the weak

Taking a bus or train to work everyday is exhausting. Trust me, next time your parents complain about being stuck in bumper-to-bumper you'll understand. 3 hours next to an overweight man reading a Bible is not my ideal Friday night...especially not when you realize you're going to be late for your shift at the restaurant.

Planners and notebooks are one thing you can't do without

Once you're told a deadline, you're not going to be constantly reminded like, "hey, kid, remember I need x done by x date." You're not coddled through a job though to be honest, you wouldn't want to be anyway. It's easy to become overwhelmed by meeting new people and wanting to kiss-ass that you become overzealous and take on more assignments than you can remember. My tip: buy a nice planner and write down everything, even that staff meeting you have every Monday at 9 without fail, because you're bound to forget at least once. Plus, bosses love it if you're engaged during meetings and get tasks done ahead of time.

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have

This is probably one of the most valuable things I learned through the interview process (other than the fact I love to flail my arms like an old Italian man when I get nervous). If you look the part, you'll feel the part. Along with this, once you land the job, dress like it's your first day everyday. That first day you "dress to impress" which emulates confidence; if you do that everyday eventually you won't just emulate confidence, you will be confident.

So you're probably wondering what you got out of this other than hearing me blab on about how lucky I was with my internship this summer (at this point I could have written you a novel, but I spared us both the trouble of that). If there's one take away at the end of the day, do what you love and love what you do and the rest will fall into place. Trust me, take a risk and pursue a path you normally wouldn't consider- It's the little things in life that really can surprise you.