Obama's Cuba Strategy: A New World Of Progress
Politics

A look back at President Obama's visit to Cuba.

8

People cannot grow and move forward in their lives without progress. You cannot mature in your beliefs and in your opinions when you are being held back by different forces — family, friends and, at times, even one’s own government. Fear of being severely punished will even push back the brightest of minds and the sweetest of souls. Countries as an entire united front cannot make progress within their domain if they are locking away their citizens’ spirit and keeping them tame. Voices need to be heard from everyone so one may feel valued.

March 22nd marked a historic event that will surely go down in the books. President Barack Obama traveled the 1,201 miles across the seas from Washington, DC, to Cuba to initiate change. Now, both countries have not always had easy relations, but it was promised to American citizens that efforts to normalize the relationship between us and the large Caribbean island would go into effect. That was said in December 17 in 2014; it is two years and our president, who has already broken so many unsaid rules in the political world, arrived on Cuban land, making him the first sitting president since 1959 to visit.

"But even if we lifted the embargo tomorrow, Cubans would not realize their potential without continued change here in Cuba," President Obama said as Cuban officials and President Raul Castro gathered for the historical speech. This resonates with the Cuban citizens because for many years, they have been trapped on a beautiful island with terrifying laws and an even scarier government. They are not allowed to speak their mind regarding their government and are not allowed to create businesses if they do not benefit the government. Getting caught speaking ill of the country’s leader and officials could get one thrown in prison. They do not have the freedoms that we do here in the United States, where we can speak openly about everything and everyone without fear of being locked in prison or even killed.

In no way is the President trying to force American ideals on the country. He is simply telling them face-to-face that they are welcome to the country that is only a few miles away. He welcomes those who would welcome the change and comforts those who have no idea what to do now that the chance to be free and live the life they want to live has been given. Some of the most memorable lines of his speech were "I can't force you to agree," "Every person should be equal under the law,” “Citizens should be free to speak their mind without fear" — the last line being the one to draw the most applause. He even brought up the fact that there were two Cuban-American candidates running for their place in the 2016 presidential election here in the U.S.

"Since 1959, we've been shadow-boxers in this battle of geopolitical politics and personalities," Obama said. "I know the history, but I refuse to be trapped by it." There were many memorable moments during his presidential visit, such as the Rays being the first baseball team since 1999 to play in Cuba. And of course, he spoke with many Cuban citizens. What affects us the most is the fact the American president has the courage to stand up to a communist country and politely stand up for the deserved human freedom and rights that the Cuban people deserve. Such an accomplishment without military action proves that though there is violence and hatred in the world, there is also hope.