To The People Telling Me How To Dress, Mind Your Business

To The People Telling Me How To Dress, Mind Your Own Business

It really shouldn't matter to you what I choose to wear.

55
https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-woman-near-clothes-374677/

In today's world, there is so much debate about how women should dress and about what we should wear to certain events. To this I say, who cares. Yes, there are times where I should look more "appropriate," but who's to tell me what to wear to class? A night out?

Society tells me that I can't show my shoulders or I can't bare my "midriff" in school because its "distracting." I'm sorry but if your son or daughter is distracted by my bare shoulders or stomach, they should probably try homeschooling. The stigma that my bare shoulders are something sexual is absurd. In college, I have found that some people believe that I shouldn't wear an oversized t-shirt and Nike shorts or leggings with a crop top to class because I am a grown woman and should dress better. Well, if I want to go to class comfortable, I will. I'm here to learn, to get an education, not to try and out-dress every other woman on my campus. This debate is ridiculous, especially at the college level. We are all mature enough to choose what we want to wear and if I wanna wear leggings and a crop top, I will. And, I'll go sit next to the guy wearing joggers and we can be comfortable together.

When I go out with my friends, I'll wear shorts and a top. I'm in Florida and it gets hot and humid. Sounds reasonable right? No, "naughty bits" out. But, all hell breaks loose if I post a photo with my friends and a little bit of cleavage is shown. I don't know why there is so much debate about what I choose to wear to a club or bar. I'm going out with my friends to have a good time.

I hate how critical American society is about what women wear. In an era where women are claiming their voices and sexualities in a way they have never before, how are we still being criticized for what we wear? It especially bothers me when I see women judge other women for the things they wear, not to mention that we tend to do this to women we don't even know. It's hard enough for women to be confident these days. We don't need to tear each other down. We'll never be united this way. If you're one of these people, you need to stop what you're doing and think about your own insecurities. To the rest, I say wear what makes you comfortable, wear what makes you, you, and be confident while doing it.