I Know The Coronavirus Is Getting Bad, But We Absolutely NEED To Remain Calm

We all have the right to be scared of the virus because it has impacted many countries, and I can understand the panic.

9

I'm sure all of us have heard about the coronavirus and its nationwide impact. Several countries including Italy, China, South Korea, and many more have had confirmed cases. Celebrities including Tom Hanks and several NBA players have also been affected by the novel virus.

Universities throughout the nation have been shut down or have averted to remote learning. Within one week, my university decided to transition to online learning after spring break, extended spring break from one week to two weeks and shut down several facilities on campus. I felt the unsettling energy resonate throughout the entire school; the dining halls, residence halls, and classrooms buzzed with conversations about the coronavirus. Students bombarded professors with emails concerning lecture attendance and upcoming midterms. It was very difficult for everyone to focus on their studies given that no one knew what was going to happen to the remainder of the semester. There was panic everywhere, but before you panic, here are a few things to keep in mind.

Approximately 80% of coronavirus cases among Chinese patients were mild to moderate, and people have recovered from it. However, many people say that the virus only affects the elderly and those with other underlying health conditions, but that is not the case. The mortality rates are higher for those demographics, but that does not mean that those who are healthier or younger cannot get the virus.

Necessary precautions should ALWAYS be taken no matter your age. While it may seem like common sense, we may sometimes think to ourselves that we won't be the ones getting affected. Regardless, you should always wash your hands when you come home and before you eat anything. Stay away from anyone who is sick and avoid crowded places. If you do, however, start feeling symptoms such as a fever or a cough, please stay at home. I cannot stress that enough. Do not go to class, do not take public transportation, and do not travel. A lot of the reason why people are getting the virus is that these necessary precautions may not always be taken.

We all have the right to be scared of the virus because it has impacted many countries, and I can understand the panic. No one wants to be affected and no one wants their friends or family to be affected. Despite it being a global pandemic, we still have to assume our roles by taking the necessary precautions in order to keep ourselves healthy and safe.