We Cannot Stay Silent

We Cannot Stay Silent

Now is the time to speak out about gun violence; now is the time for change.

450
We Cannot Stay Silent

In the reckoning of the recent tragedy in Parkland, Florida, I have seen people attribute many different causes of this horrific event. Some blame mental health, some blame guns, and some blame people. Right now, we need to put our opinions and our politics aside and come together as one nation. I have seen too many instances, as a result of this event, that involve people bashing others for what they believe the cause of this event actually was.

No matter the true cause, there is one thing that is certain: we must not stay silent. This tragic event is another to add to the list of the horrific instances of gun violence. This event has joined the list of the top 10 most deadly mass shootings in the United States, so why does it seem like we are not doing anything about this?

When I first heard the news of this school shooting, through a news app on my iPhone, I immediately sat down to find out what had happened. Merely seconds after I opened the story to read about it, I started crying. I couldn't help myself. Another careless, terrifying act against a school. When will these tragedies end? Why do they keep happening?

My heart aches for the victims of this school shooting. My main concern surrounding this event is, are we going to do anything about it? Will our leaders do anything about it? I've already seen the argument online that writing about what we should do behind a computer screen isn't going to change anything. However, I believe this is a start. I am voicing my thoughts for those who can't. I am fighting for those who have lost their lives.

Seeing the reactions to this event have opened my eyes and have helped me see more clearly.

I am now aware that man politicians send their "thoughts and prayers" to victims of a horrific event, but do nothing to stop the same type of event from happening again.

I am now aware that the ones who believe mass shootings are a result of poor mental health are the ones who limit mental health funding and are the people that believe mental illnesses are not as serious as physical illnesses.

Lastly, I am aware that we need change. Will we ever get the change that we deserve? With the current leaders, I am not sure if I can answer "Yes" to this question just yet.

I may just be a college student, but I have dreams and aspirations. The victims who lost their lives in this tragedy also had goals. Some of them were preparing to go to college, some were athletes, some had families of their own, and they all had bright souls. They all had potential to continue growing throughout their lives,no matter their age. And now, they're gone from us.

We must not say silent any more. We need change, and now is the time for it. Our country needs more that just thoughts and prayers. As someone who wishes to work in a school someday, I cannot imagine such an unspeakable, horrific event. We need to save the lives of everyone, especially our children.

We must never forget these victims. We must never forget their names, their faces, or the people that will mourn their deaths every day. This tragic event will haunt us every day until we achieve change. We must speak up NOW.

Rest In Peace to all of those that lost their lives at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. We will continue to fight for you, and we will not stop. We will speak up. Our voices will be heard for you, and for all victims of gun violence.