We Are All Human

We Are All Human

Let's take a moment to self-evaluate

9
We Are All Human
Erika Sasaki

Going about our daily mundane routines, we easily find ourselves trapped in this bubble we form around ourselves. In that bubble, you are the main character. Everything revolves around you. That little voice that you talk to is your narrator, and the people around you are just other characters in this story that you are writing for yourself. Sure, some characters are more meaningful than others--but at the end of the day, you set them apart as "other characters". You are the one that laughs and cries, you are the one that truly feels, and you only have access to your own thoughts. The little voice narrator is you. We have an omniscient point of view in our own stories, and that makes it so easy for us to perceive the world as centered around us. It sounds silly when I say it out loud, but admit it--we've all been there.

I still remember my elementary school years when I would actually be frustrated and angry with my parents when I couldn't have things my way. I couldn't go to my friend's birthday party on time because neither of them could drive me at that specific time. I wanted to eat pasta for dinner, but they chose to make something else instead. I didn't want people over on a specific day, but they hosted a family dinner. As selfish and bratty as I sound, I feel as if we've all been at this stage, especially with our parents. It's so easy for us to fall into the mindset that our priorities and desires trump everything else, because our priorities and desire become our parents' priorities. They try to fulfill what we want, because in their stories, we have become one of the main characters.

Even now as a sophomore in college, I continuously find that I have to consciously catch myself from acting this way. Something as simple as planning on a time to eat dinner with a group of friends can trigger this instinct of wanting it "my way". Busy with classes, extra-curricular activities, and other commitments, we stress ourselves out and place ourselves as the only main character--the only one that matters. Overwhelmed with our own emotions, we forget that everyone else feels just as much as we do and that their priorities matter just as much as our own. We forget that we sometimes need to sacrifice our time and needs to support others, and that others do the same for us.

My goal is to become someone who has a constant understanding of this easily forgotten fact of life and can continuously act with grace and consideration toward others while maintaining self-peace. It's a hefty one that will take time and self-work to master, but hey, coming to this realization is a pretty good start.

The fact that we are all human is common knowledge. The fact that all humans have the capacity to think and feel is common knowledge. The fact that all humans have their own needs is common knowledge. But it's surprising how coming to this realization on a deeper, personal, daily level is rather challenging. Remember that every word you choose to speak and every act you choose to accomplish will have an effect on another human. Keeping this simple-sounding yet complex foundation of life will positively influence how you present yourself and act around others!