Ways To Make The Most Of Summer

9 Ways To Make The Most Of Your Summer At Home

Spending your summer in your hometown might sound like a drag, but not with the inclusion of some of these ideas.

83
Carly Miller

Not all of us end up spending our summer working an internship in a super dope city. In my case, I changed my major halfway through my sophomore year at Purdue, so the prospect of obtaining an internship was slim. But, have no fear, I still managed to make the most of my summer in my small hometown! Here are 9 ways in which I did just that.

1. Become best friends with your coworkers.

During my summer, I worked at the little diner in my town, Anita's Kitchen. I've been serving eggs and bacon at Anita's since high school, and let me tell you, becoming friends with your coworkers can make a good job great. I am so thankful to work with people that I choose to spend my time with even on my days off. My coworkers definitely helped make my summer awesome.

2. Go to as many concerts as possible.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a concert fanatic. Whether it be a huge, sold-out show or a small, no-name performer, I love any and all concerts. I have been to a total of 5 shows this summer and having that sort of event to look forward to has made my summer so memorable. From Dead and Company to Harry Styles, I've absolutely loved every concert that I've had the opportunity to attend.

3. Take summer classes.

Okay, no, summer classes are not enjoyable in any way, shape, or form. By taking summer classes, though, I felt like I was still using my time during the summer wisely. I was able to knock out two classes that are helping me work towards one of my minors, so I would say that taking summer classes is a responsible way to make to the most of your summer.

4. Find friends to kayak with.

Of course, everyone wants to be outdoors during the summer. One of my favorite outdoor activities is kayaking, so I am thankful to have friends who join me on warm, sunny days for a kayak trip. Kayaking is a relatively inexpensive way to get out, enjoy nature, and do something fun during the summer, and I highly recommend it to anyone who never has.

5. Plan trips to an amusement park.

Four of my friends from high school and I decided to plan a trip to Cedar Point to wrap up our summer, and having a fun trip to look forward to like that is a great way to make the most of being at home. Better yet, these kinds of trips aren't overly expensive but still feel like a little getaway. Even the car ride to and from your destination is great when you are with all of your closest friends.

6. Have pool days on pool days on pool days.

I am fortunate enough to have a pool, but even if you don't, spend time with your friends that do and partake in as many pool days as possible! Soaking up the sun has been one of the #1 ways that I have spent my summer. Whether surrounded by friends or lounging on a float by myself and relaxing, I made the most of the sunshine and got all the vitamin D that I could.

7. Eat your weight ice cream.

My favorite way to sweeten up my summer is with ice cream dates. Alright, that was decently cheesy, but whenever my friends and I don't know what to do, ice cream is always the answer. I love trying new ice cream shops as well as going back to my favorites to get red raspberry sherbet or cookie dough ice cream. It's an inexpensive and delicious way to pass the summer time.

8. Go to the lake with your Little.

This past weekend my little, Katie, invited me to spend the weekend at the lake with her, and I absolutely loved every second of it. As ridiculous as it seems, it was my first time EVER being on a lake. I know, crazy right? Being out on the boat, learning to surf, and just getting to spend time with one of my best friends was an incredible and simple way to spend my August weekend.

9. Spend time with friends you won’t see while at school.

As eager as I am to get back to Purdue and start my junior year, I will inevitably be sad to leave some of my favorite people at home. All the more reason to see them as much as I can while I am still home. For me, that means spending nearly all my free time with my friends from high school, my sister, and my mom. My last little suggestion is to make the most of your summertime with those people you can't pack up and take back to school with you.