How To Have A Lit Summer When You're Totally Broke

Have the best summer ever without breaking the bank.

554

Summer is here and if you're anything like me, your bank account is drier than the desert. It seems like the coolest summers involve exotic trips or daily shopping or just generally something involving spending a lot of money. However, being broke doesn't mean your summer has to suck. There are so many awesome things you can do to make your cheap summer one of the best yet.

1. Drive to the nearest lake or beach with your friends

Lakes are pretty much everywhere, and they are usually free. A trip to a local lake with your friends can be a real adventure. You can swim or just sit on the doc. It's also a really fun night trip.

2 Go geocaching

Geocaching is completely free and everywhere. It's basically a giant treasure hunt, and you can even do it by yourself.

3. Host a movie night

A few movies from Redbox, a box of popcorn from the dollar store, and a few friends makes for a really fun (and really cheap) night.

4. Explore places of your town you never have

Drive down the backroads, walk through the woods, visit all those little shops you never have. Get to know where you live in a new way and fall in love with it all over again.

5. Go on a Netflix binge

There's something oddly cathartic about bunkering down in your bed for two days and watching every episode of a new show. This summer, try watching The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt or Grey's Anatomy. You could even start a show with a friend or family member and share the experience together.

6. Bond with your family

Make dinner with your mom, listen to your dad tell stories from when he was young, hang out with your sister or play a board game with your brother. Making memories with your family is something will never regret.

7. Start a pick up game of some sort

Everywhere has basketball courts, baseball fields anyone can use, tennis courts or open lots for baseball, kickball, or soccer. Get some friends together and start a game. It doesn't matter if you're good at the sport, it will be fun to try!

8. Start running everyday

It may not be the most fun thing ever, but at least you'll be really hot by the time summer ends, and being really hot is always fun.

9. Learn a new skill

Learn how to juggle, knit or do yoga.

10. Go to garage sales or host a garage sale

Digging through other people's stuff is an awesome pastime, and you might find some neat new treasures. If you host a garage sale, you can use the money to have a more lit summer.